Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-installing my operating system

• Please log in to reply

cja

cja

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I would like to reformat my computers hard drive but am unable to reformat it because the recovery program is on the D drive. Hewlard Packard did not include physical copies of the disc. What do I do????

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cja....Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Try this: Restart your computer. During the startup routine (before Windows actually starts) repeatedly tap the F10 key. On most newer HP machines, this will start the recovery operation.

wannabe1

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I Have tried this and it asks me to choose from 3 options??? (ask me to type in 1 or 2 or 3

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cja...

It's been a whaile since I've done a recovery on an HP. Would you mind listing the options for me?

As a side note...What is the reason for running the recovery? AND Have you backed up your important files?

wannabe1

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have been having problems with trojan viruses.

My internet explorer isn't working ( I have spent 8 hours of the last 24 hours trying to fix with no luck so I am just reformatting)

I have backed up my files yesterday on

the options are
1. D:\MiniNT
2. D:\I386
3.C:\WINDOWS

(my recovery volume is on the D section of the hard drive

thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cja...

Have you tried posting this problem in the MalWare Forum. The experts there are very good at getting these things cleared up without having to format your machine?\

http://www.geekstogo...Go_Here-f37.htm

Have you tried this?

Recovering the system from the Windows XP desktop

1. Disconnect all peripherals and internal non preinstalled devices from the PC, except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
2. From the Windows XP desktop, click Start, All Programs, and then HP Tools.
3. Select HP PC System Recovery. The Recovery screen will appear with the question Do you really want to start HP PC System Recovery?
4. Click Yes, to continue the recovery process.
5. When the Recovery screen appears, click Next, and then click Yes to perform a normal, non-destructive recovery.
6. To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, and then click Yes.

wannabe1

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
step 1 check
step 2 not able to do, the program menu is not accessable from the start menu (but if I can open it by directly clicking on the c drive, unfortunately their is no file there called "HP Tools")

but getting to & starting HP PC System Recovery (step 3 & 4) is not a problem.

Step 5 there is no screen that asks about non-destructive vs destructive recovery,

Just the 3 options mentioned above.

I know one of them has to start the "Recovery Console" (in dos)
I don't know which one and how (I'm DOS illiterate)

Thanks

PS I clicked on the link and "the page" is no longer available

Edited by cja, 17 June 2005 - 01:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cja, Sorry about that last link...I copied it right out of the address bar in my browser...don't know why it is suddenly dead. Try the one below.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Everything I'm asking you to do should result in an easy "Yes" or "No" menu. I'm betting that your malware issues are holding up this process. Try the link above and follow the directions to see if that will clear things up enough to get things going. I've been watching the experts in this forum work...they are amazing. Give them a try, you may not have to go through all the hassles that come with a format. (reinstalling applications, updates, driver issues, and who knows what all else you might encounter.)

If the link doesn't work, click the "start here" link right under the blue header panel.

wannabe1

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thankyou I will give it another go....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cja...

A little more research has revealed another possible cause for the recovery problems. If you have installed Service Pack 1 through Windows Update you may require the patch available from HP at the link below.

http://h10025.www1.h...eitem=pv-9155-1

If it were my machine, I would go ahead and get it as clean as possible (from malware, spyware, and virus') and then apply this patch whether you still wish to run recovery or not...just for future use if it becomes necesary.

Good Luck!

wannabe1

Advertisements

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks, I am still finishing up that list of things to do. My computer will not allow me to down load the "SP1a" which I believe is the XP service pack (the first service pack) If I can not download this ... can I still "appy the Patch"?

Thanks for your help (I have been trying to fix this since yesterday at 1pm separated by 1hr of dinner and 6.5 hours of sleep. I figured if I would have been able to just feformate yesterday at 2pm I would not have had to take the day off of work today.)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cja...

You can apply the patch at any time...before or after SP1. However, the issue it addresses was supposedly cuased by SP1. I'll look into it a little further while you continue cleaning up.

wannabe1

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was able to download that patch that you recommended. then I went back to try to enstall the sp1a that I was unable to earlier. the computer displays a small pop up "service pack 1 set up error" set up cancelled "OK"

I have two other home cpu including the one I am typing to you on both of which I have not got the service pack or the patch for. Should I get it for both or do you think with my automatic updates from windows both cpu's already have these two items??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would think that auto updates would have already done that for you. It's easy to check, though. Click Start > All Programs > Windows Update (Near top of menu). Let Update Scan your machine(s) and then click "Installation History" on the menu on the left of the page. This should list all the updates you have installed on that machine.

Many of the updates will also be listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" function in control panel, but I have found this is not always a complete list.

I'm searching for which of your choices to choose in lieu of a menu on the recovery screen. I'll get back to you with that info as soon as I can find it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cja

These are the options that should be listed on your recovery screen.

1. Set up Windows XP [press enter].
2. To repair Windows XP installation using Recovery Console [press R]
3. Quit set-up [press F3]

You'll want to choose option 1...[press enter]...Accept the license agreement (Windows will search for existing installations).
Select the Windows installation you want to repair from the list...[press R] to start the repair.
Setup will copy the necesary files to the hard drive and reboot. If offered the option to "Press any key to boot from cd" ignore it and let setup continue to load. It will appear that Windows is doing a clean install, but it will leave your settings intact.

I suggest you try this rather than formatting the drive...let the experts help you remove the nasties in the Malware Forum (it may take a while as they are very busy and it can be a complex process...be patient)

If this doesn't work, let me know and we'll panic! (Just kidding...we'll try something else.... :tazz: )

wannabe1