Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unprotected Excel File Issue

• Please log in to reply

Joriee

Joriee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We have a shared Microsoft Excel 2010 workbook on a drive at work. 2 times now someone has been updating this workbook and when they went to save and close, the file was removed from the drive. The first time, the file had been left open on someone else's computer from the previous shift so we were able to recover their edits but lost ours and had to update again. The file was lost from the drive again tonight when someone tried to save and close after editing but the file cannot be located in any of their documents or anything like that. I'm trying to figure out what, if anything this person is doing wrong because the file isn't even in the recycle bin as if she deleted it; nor can I locate it anywhere else on her computer or if this is some issue because the workbook is unprotected and multiple people can be on it at once. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

Advertisements

Makko

Makko

Freshman

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Perhaps multiple people have the file open?

Then person A who has been editing saves the file at say 4pm.

Then person B exits (who has had the file open but made no changes), it asks to exit and 'save changes' at 4:05pm and they click yes?

A good alternative is using google docs which has a spreadsheet option. Here people can view and edit documents online in real time. Also, other people can see in real time the changes being made. Might be worth a try.

Google Sheets: https://www.google.c...u/sheets/about/

Edited by Makko, 16 February 2017 - 03:45 AM.

Dazy Parker

Dazy Parker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

We have a shared Microsoft Excel 2010 workbook on a drive at work. 2 times now someone has been updating this workbook and when they went to save and close, the file was removed from the drive. The first time, the file had been left open on someone else's computer from the previous shift so we were able to recover their edits but lost ours and had to update again. The file was lost from the drive again tonight when someone tried to save and close after editing but the file cannot be located in any of their documents or anything like that. I'm trying to figure out what, if anything this person is doing wrong because the file isn't even in the recycle bin as if she deleted it; nor can I locate it anywhere else on her computer or if this is some issue because the workbook is unprotected and multiple people can be on it at once. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

Joriee,

Deleted file goes into recycle bin if, you delete it from your local machine. In case of shared network, you can recover the deleted file. Follow these steps to do so,

1. Open the shared network where you had the Excel file.
  2. Right-click on the blank space and choose the Properties.
  3. Now click on the Previous Versions tab.
  4. Check the deleted file and restore it.

I hope it will work for you.

Good Luck!