Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files in laptop are not opening

• Please log in to reply

YogeshSharma

YogeshSharma

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear All,

I am facing a strange issue with files on my harddrive. I have disk 1 (C & D drive) and disk 2 (E & F drives). D has all jpeg files and all have same updated timestamp of last month and none of them is opening with any software in and outside laptop. Same has happened with pdf, word doc,notepad,excel files in C & E drive also. Only F drive is safe as of now. I get error , can't open file or file is corrupt. I am scared to lose data and I need help. Please........

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   YogeshSharma,

We could do with an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager.

Can tell us what OS you are running, XP, Vista, 7 etc, once we know we can post the steps for obtaining the above.

YogeshSharma

YogeshSharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have windows 10. The screenshot of disk manager is attached here. Thanks so much for replying

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170218_194543.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the screenshot  :thumbsup:

You need to free up some storage space on the C: and E: partition/drive as there is not enough room for file swaps to take place, see my canned info below;

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure for you must always have a minimum of 20 to 25% of the HDDs or partitions overall storage capacity available as free space where Windows is installed and between 10 and 15% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if there is data only on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently particularly important for Windows file swapping and the installation of OS and AV updates.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information here and here

YogeshSharma

YogeshSharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks very much. I will free up the space and then will get back to you in case problem still persists.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome YogeshSharma  :)

YogeshSharma

YogeshSharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear Friend, I have free the space on drives but still those files are not opening. Any other solution?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170221_013322.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Your data may have already become corrupt  :(

Can you disconnect any storage device/s that you may have connected to the notebook, the external HDD and/or any thumb drive etc then check to see if Windows is fully updated (if not see if it will update) and if your files will open then post back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you YogeshSharma , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

YogeshSharma

YogeshSharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear friend,

I will check if update to windows is required and will it solve the problem. But i am not sure it will help.I have checked harddrive for errors and it shows disk is healthy. Norton did't detect any virus or malware. I emailed one corrupted photo to myself and it could't open anywhere else. Since not every file on disk is corrupt and only the files which I didn't open for long time like more than a year had issue , I am not able to find what caused the updated timestamp of all those files changed at the same time and making them corrupt.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update YogeshSharma  :thumbsup:

For now it is important that as suggested you disconnect any USB storage devices from the notebook, before you try updating grab a screenshot of the files that you are trying to open and attach it to your next reply for us.

I am not able to find what caused the updated timestamp of all those files changed at the same time and making them corrupt. 

Something may have been installed that has changed the files properties, this could be something that you installed or something that you are completely unaware of, check to see if anything was installed on the same time and date as what has been allocated to your files.

YogeshSharma

YogeshSharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I checked for windows 10 updates and completed the install of latest updates. It didn't solve the issue. Is there any way to check the install history of uninstalled programs as well? As far as I rememeber, I had uninstalled bitdefender antivirus trial version and for few files the uninstall timestamp matched the updated timestamp of files. Then after few days of being on microsoft security essentials I installed norton security trial version. Since I did the uninstall from revo uninstaller, i restored the registry entries but that didn't solve the issue. Also, I was facing this issue that after every restart some file was trying to get open from aapdata/local but unable to open because of no association found. I deleted randomly many folders and files from appdata folder. Then, that file stopped opening on start. Just giving above info in case something is linked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
For now it is important that as suggested you disconnect any USB storage devices from the notebook, before you try updating grab a screenshot of the files that you are trying to open and attach it to your next reply for us.

For us to safely be able to help you it is important that you follow the steps suggested here, not doing so will quite possibly result in you ending up with a non bootable machine.

We need to see the type of files that you are trying to open and it is most important that you keep disconnected any USB storage devices.

YogeshSharma

YogeshSharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Please find attached the photo of corrupted files.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170302_013500.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Nothing there to suggest that the files have been corrupted, couple of questions if I may;

What operating system were you running when you saved the pictures.

How are you trying to open the pictures.

What is the exact error message you are getting when the files will not open.