Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a limit on the number of external drives windows 7 ?

• Please log in to reply

Bruce42

Bruce42

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

I want to add some additional external hard drives  on my home computer to use for different business records, but the three I want to add will only open up as 'I' drive - if this one is already running then I cannot add any more. Plug one into a USB port and I get the bleep acknowledging a new device is in, but it does not display a new drive ID ???

I have now realised that all three drives are now installed and called drive 'I', and I cannot re-designate new ID's which ideally should be drive 'J' and drive 'K'. Does anybody know how I can re-designate the names of these two drives ?

Edited by Bruce42, 18 February 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Thank you  very much indeed - I knew i must be possible - but try as I might I couldn't find the way.