Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is there a limit on the number of external drives windows 7 ?

Best Answer FreeBooter , 18 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

Please open the Disk Management console by typing Diskmgmt.msc into Start Menu search box. You can right click any one of hard disks partitions and select  "Change Drive Letter and Paths" to a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Bruce42

Bruce42

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

I want to add some additional external hard drives  on my home computer to use for different business records, but the three I want to add will only open up as 'I' drive - if this one is already running then I cannot add any more. Plug one into a USB port and I get the bleep acknowledging a new device is in, but it does not display a new drive ID ???

I have now realised that all three drives are now installed and called drive 'I', and I cannot re-designate new ID's which ideally should be drive 'J' and drive 'K'. Does anybody know how I can re-designate the names of these two drives ?

Edited by Bruce42, 18 February 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
✓  Best Answer

Please open the Disk Management console by typing Diskmgmt.msc into Start Menu search box. You can right click any one of hard disks partitions and select  "Change Drive Letter and Paths" to assign new drive letter to partition you have selected.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Thank you  very much indeed - I knew i must be possible - but try as I might I couldn't find the way.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

You are very welcome!