Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A fresh installation of Win caused FPS drops(less FPS in general).

Win 7 8.1 c9 game fps drops

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

How do I fix the other errors? are they really that bad? I mean, MBAM errors shouldn't decrease the over-all performance, same as The Sims I suppose

Well, the other drive is really an old one, it quite works slow in windows itself but a bit better in-game.

Edited by zapuxas098, 24 February 2017 - 03:06 PM.

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I forgot to mention one important thing. I didn't check much before changing the screens. But I went from 1280x1024 to 1366x768 resolution by changing the screens. I took away my Monitor and exchanged with TV one(Using RGB plug-in) now. Could it have affected it? Do I need a HDMI cable maybe? Just realized I haven't mentioned that...

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I always try to eliminate as many errors as I can.  Some I know come standard on Windows but the non standard errors should be fixed for best performance.  

For example:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/02/2017 2:44:58 PM
Type: Error Category: 100
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54503a3a Faulting module name: Start8_64.dll_unloaded, version: 1.1.7.0, time stamp: 0x520bde72 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000054203 Faulting process id: 0xbe0 Faulting application start time: 0x01d288613414bed4 Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE Faulting module path: Start8_64.dll Report Id: 7c80f3e9-f456-11e6-825c-d050995a03e7 Faulting package full name:  Faulting package-relative application ID:

This error caused your desktop to crash.  That's not a good thing.  Appears to be caused by: Start8_64.dll which I think is part of Stardock.

You are also getting nvidia errors so your video driver is not happy.  

For best performance using a TV as a monitor you want to use the HDMI cable.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

How do I fix that stardock error? At the same with the nvidia errors?

I tried plugging my old monitor but the performance seemed to be just as same as on this(1280x1024). Which is quite much worse than it was before(When I was constantly using my old monitor)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Can you live without stardock?  If so uninstall it.  Or try a newer or older version.

For Nvidia look for a new driver or perhaps an older one if you have the latest.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Where do I even find it? I can't find it in the remove program list, nor I ever downloaded such program, maybe it came with something together..

I tried the older/newer GPU drivers, the performance yet stayed the same.
So the reason to all this "lag" is probably HDD? OR could be still something else..?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Looks like it may be called Start8

http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/

it lives in C:\Program Files\stardock\start8

so look there for an uninstall program if you don't see one in Installed Programs.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply, maybe it's an old registry key or something, I can't find it anywhere, not even the folder.

Anyway, I am still suffering from 20-50% lower performance, is there anything else I could do? Besides buying a new HDD(Yet we are not sure it's the HDD, right?)

Also, once my PC starts, I've a special option called X-Boost, it increases the CPU speed, it says to click X but as soon as I click it, nothing happens. I tried plugging a keyboard through the old plug-in source, not the USB one, still couldn't press it. It says "OFF"

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Try putting
*Start8_64.dll*
in the Seach box in FRST and then click
Search Files.
Repeat the search for
Start8_64.dll
but click on Search Registry.  Does it find anything?

You can also get ShellExView

Use this download:

Once you get it installed, run it and look in the third or fourth column from the RIGHT.  (If they have changed the version then it might be a different column) It should say MICROSOFT. Click once or twice on MICROSOFT so that items with NO are at the top.
Select all of the NO items and then click on the red led looking icon in the upper left. This should disable all of the non-microsoft additions to Explorer. Reboot 

The harddrive is probably not the cause but I would watch it.

Is this your X-boost?

On Page two there is talk of a Settings option which enables X-boost

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey there!

I've found Start8 in the registry, do I delete the entry of it there?

Also, disabled all of the "NO" under the Microsoft tab

As for the x-boost, here's mine(Image below). So that's the screen when I turn on the computer as you can see, pressing X does nothing as it seems, the icon stays as OFF also, it kinda just blackouts when I click it or either does nothing, hard to say.

Attached Thumbnails

• 17548861_983585738408363_1090606780_o.jpg

Edited by zapuxas098, 26 March 2017 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Can you give me the complete key that shows Start8?

Do any of the other options work on your asrock page?

Did you try both x and X?

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey there,

I've added an image of start8 registry entry

Yes, I can click the other ones with F buttons, enter bios etc

You mean shift+x? Yes, just tried, nothing also as it seems

Attached Thumbnails

• start8.png

Edited by zapuxas098, 27 March 2017 - 08:49 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Right click on Start8 and Export

Save it as Start8 to your desktop.

Then right click on Start8.reg and Edit.  Copy the text and paste it into a reply.

If you let FRST do the registry search for start8 it will create a file you can copy and paste.  It may find more than the one entry.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

There it goes:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Start8]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Start8\Start8.ini]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Start8\Start8.ini\Start8]
"NewInstall"="1"
"StartButtonMode"="2"
"Image"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Stardock\\Start8\\StartButtons\\default.png"
"UpgradedBlue"="1"
"LS"="1487256268"
"LastUpdateCheck"="1487861071"
"CheckedOnce1.1"="1"

And so what do I do about the X button at the boot screen?

By the way, I just realized, I might have resetted my bios settings and that could be the cause of the lower performance. I remember my CPU running at around 3.66GHZ mostly while the CPU max is 3.1GHZ. Also the Dram frequency etc. I could gladly use some of your tips of changing them back to the old max settings for performance or smth.  And as asked above, enabling the X-Boost for CPU(It could have made the 3.66 from 3.1 tho, not sure)

Edited by zapuxas098, 27 March 2017 - 04:34 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Seems unlikely that that is the only entry in the registry.  Did you let FRST do a Registry Search?