Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

security

• Please log in to reply

scottyb59

scottyb59

• Pip
  • 2 posts

security:   I have avast and they keep telling to upgrade.Do i need to? i know nothing about computers.

Advertisements

Makko

Makko

Freshman

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi Scottyb59,

Do you mean update? Keeping your antivirus software updated is important so you are protected from the latest threats. Instructions here: https://blog.avast.c...avast-antivirus

Otherwise, Avast does have some other popups that offers their other products. If you have the paid version you are able to turn these pop-ups off, if you're running the free version you can shorten the duration of them. 

How to do this:

1. Open Avast
  2. Click Settings then General
  3. Scroll down to Popups
  4. Expand the option and adjust to your preference. 

This is elaborated on here: https://blog.avast.c...-notifications/

Let me know how you go. 

Edited by Makko, 19 February 2017 - 11:07 PM.

scottyb59

scottyb59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Scottyb59,

Do you mean update? Keeping your antivirus software updated is important so you are protected from the latest threats. Instructions here: https://blog.avast.c...avast-antivirus

Otherwise, Avast does have some other popups that offers their other products. If you have the paid version you are able to turn these pop-ups off, if you're running the free version you can shorten the duration of them. 

How to do this:

1. Open Avast
  2. Click Settings then General
  3. Scroll down to Popups
  4. Expand the option and adjust to your preference. 

This is elaborated on here: https://blog.avast.c...-notifications/

Let me know how you go. 

i have totalav  that cost 39.99 is that enough?

Makko

Makko

Freshman

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

TotalAV is a different antivirus software than Avast. 

You should only have 1 antivirus installed and running on your computer at one time. Having more than 1 can cause conflict and even make your system more prone to infections. 

Generally speaking, both of them are good options  (when ran alone) with Windows Firewall enabled.

Some of the Malware Removal Geeks may have some greater insight on this. 

Edited by Makko, 20 February 2017 - 07:03 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

TotalAV is a different antivirus software than Avast. 
You should only have 1 antivirus installed and running on your computer at one time. Having more than 1 can cause conflict and even make your system more prone to infections. 

Generally speaking, both of them are good options  (when ran alone) with Windows Firewall enabled.

Some of the Malware Removal Geeks may have some greater insight on this.

Makko is correct. You should never have more than 1 antivirus software installed on your computer.

It does sound like you have 2 AV's installed if you are getting pop ups from Avast asking you to upgrade and if you also have TotalAV installed.

Avast is notorious for nagging the user to upgrade from the free to the paid version. I am pretty sure this is what you are experiencing when you see this Avast pop up asking you to upgrade.

Please uninstall one of them from Control Panel > Programs and Features

Since you paid for TotalAV, I would uninstall the free Avast software.

If you have trouble doing so let me know. We can move this topic to the malware removal forum and run a few scans to ensure whichever AV software you chose to uninstall had uninstalled properly. Many times a file or two can be left behind which can cause problems.

Donna :)