Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

180mbps download

• Please log in to reply

Mommameat

Mommameat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This has been eating at me for the last couple of days. At my shop I have an Ethernet cord off the modem going to a gig switch that is feeding 4 computers up front. The download speed is 180mbps on those 4. There is a second Ethernet cord coming off the modem going down about 150 feet to the first bay feeding another gig switch. Off that switch it is feeding a computer and an emissions machine. The download speed there is 80mbps. Off that same switch is another Ethernet cable going down about 200 feet to another gig switch in the back office. Off that switch it feeds 2 computers. The download speed there is 9mbps. We just recently switched from century link whose download speed was 16mbps on the front computers and about the same in the back. Now with Comcast and it's a massive improvement up front but worse in the back. My solution that I need some advice on is get some bulk cat6 and replace the cable from the modem to the switch in the first bay, assuming that the cable is old and can't handle the speed. As for the back office my thought is eliminating the cable feeding the switch in the back office from the first bay and running new cat6 from the modem all the way to the back office. Will this improve my download speeds or is it a bigger problem at hand. Can I have too many split offs? This is way over my head. Thanks in advance for the help

Edited by Mommameat, 20 February 2017 - 09:34 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:   Mommameat,

You need to call in a local networking expert, preferably one that will offer you a no charge evaluation (this is most unlikely) the variants are far too complex for you too be conclusively advised via any tech forum, MS do offer guidance on what you are requesting help with but other than that I suspect that there may be some financial outlay involved on your behalf  :( see Understand Your Physical Networks info here