Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC takes long time to boot up (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer SpywareDr , 02 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Did you try CCleaner's Tools > Startup, then click the Publisher's column header to sort by Publisher's name? Now you'll be able to see what is Microsoft and your laptop maker's stuff and proba... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

wayneman50

wayneman50

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

My HP PC is taking longer to boot up these days. Would like some assistance. Thanks.

Advertisements

tonytranupg

tonytranupg

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

You might need to take a look at Startup items (Task Manager -> Startup tab) because it will slow down the bootup process. Just disable unnecessary items there to speed up the process.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Thanks for your prompt response.

I don't know what some of these do. Can you make recommendations? 

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

Create a new restore point, leave the Windows processes, AMD CCC and Avast but disable OneDrive and all of the other entries listed above.

NB: Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

tonytranupg

tonytranupg

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Thanks for your prompt response.

I don't know what some of these do. Can you make recommendations? 

I think you can disable many of them, like Windows Command Processor, VDownloader, Old McDonald, CCleaner, DefMgr, OneDrive, Carbonite User Interface.

I don't know what is Startup Notification Module?

What is it?

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Schneider Electric is the brand of backup power supply I have. And when its battery runs out, it will do a controlled shutdown. I guess I could check with them to see if it needs to run at startup, but I would think it does.

I'll disable the other things you recommended hopefully this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks and have a good weekend.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Still working on it. In the meantime, I came across a process running on my PC called CinemaNow Service Application.  Do you know what this is for, why is it running, and should I get rid of it? If so, how? Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

CinemaNow probably came bundled with something else that you downloaded, uninstall it as you see fit.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I'm good with startup now. Can you help me clean up some programs that I think a past geekstogo tech left on my PC? Things like aswclear.exe. There are probably more.

tonytranupg

tonytranupg

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

You can go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features (or Settings -> System -> Apps and features) and then uninstall any programs you want to.

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I did not phrase my question correctly. I would like you to help me identify which programs your associates had me install. I know where to uninstall programs.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In which one of your threads? http://www.geekstogo...vity&mid=328601

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Sorry, I don't remember. I just thought you could look at a list of my installed programs and spot which ones are for diagnosing and fixing problems. It might have been a virus.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I'm afraid I  wouldn't have any idea which programs and/or drivers you, or your computer might want or need to be installed. I already took the time to read through all of your previous threads on this forum and couldn't spot where any associate had requested you install any type of malware-removal tools. That's why I kind of gave up and were hoping you could help me/us help you.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Understood.

I'm interested in cleaning up my PC. Can you recommend software that can show me my non-system files ranked from largest to smallest?