Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP NOT BOOTING

• Please log in to reply

millerbugger

millerbugger

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem. I own a pentium 2 390E IBM lap top that ive upgraded to 256 RAM and installed XP and service pack two. All was fine and operating well until i did a batch update from the mirosoft site for both XP and microsoft office 2003. Now, my PC boots up and even askes me for my password but my desktop is dead. As it opens, there is a error message saying that windows explorer has encountered a problem and gives me an option to send an error report. There are no icons to select and nothing works, not even right clicking on the desktop works. There desktop picture is there but nothing else. BLANK AND UNRESPONSIVE.

Please can someone help. Im at a loss

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and what occurs when you boot into safe mode?

While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?

millerbugger

millerbugger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Exactly the same except a black screen. Ive also tried to reboot under the last good known configuration and the problem persists. Ive changed the Hard disk for another Laptop of the same model using Windows 2000 and the same machine boots perfectly. I have so much work on this thing its not even a joke.

hELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!

Edited by millerbugger, 17 June 2005 - 01:40 PM.

Andrew666

Andrew666

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
send an error report and microsoft can send you a Download to help

Andrew666

Andrew666

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
wot your GHz and RAM ?

millerbugger

millerbugger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
333MHZ and 256 RAM. As i said before, everything was running well until the update. I cannot connect to the internet on that system so i cant send the error report.

Edited by millerbugger, 17 June 2005 - 02:05 PM.

millerbugger

millerbugger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Solution...

Had to take it to the techy, he extracted the files from the Hard disk, fomatted and re-installed and transfered the files over.

Happy now. Thanks for trying.

:tazz: :tazz: ;) ;) :) ;)