Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Static precautions?

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Do I need to worry about static when I build my PC? If so, what should I do?

Also, I'm trying to find a good 19 inch LCD moniter for under $400. Can you guys reccomend some, or tell me what I should look for?

Advertisements

knaggsy

knaggsy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
u should always take a precaustion when building a pc towards static

static can damage yoru coomponants and then its a bit buggered

there are three options you have..

1: buy an antistatic mat

stand on it when building

2: by an anti static wristband..

earth yourself when building

3: put both hands on the side of your case before building

this gets rid of static in your body before building.. but dont build on a carpet or owt coz ull just build up charge again :tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Static can affect your building in many ways, if you get the slightest spark and fry one of your parts your done and have to order a new one as there is no way to restore it. As the other poster has suggested methods to take before building, make sure you follow those, you can buy an antistatic band pretty cheap if your very worried about it

As for the moniter- look here at Tigerdirect or here at Newegg

Good Luck :tazz:

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Thanks, but about the moniter...

I know absolutely nothing about them. What should I be looking at? It's for a gaming PC BTW.

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
just touch some metal with your hands and don't move your fet or legs on carpet/rug while yuo're making it or better yet sit in a chair thats leather or something and not having any parts of your body touch the ground. and if you want to be extra caerful get the anti static wristband like knaggsy said at your nearest computer store you can ask the staff they'll know what you're talking about.