Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apache home dns server

• Please log in to reply

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Another stupid question is the website whatismyaddress showing me the ip backwards meaning when I re enter it do I have to invert the numbers

Advertisements

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am trying to avoid driving to Starbucks to ping my website so I keep trying to make an ssl with myencrypt to see if everything is proper and it keeps saying no valid up address found for my domain even after I changed the registrar a record to my routers wan address forewords and backwards😏

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

C:\Users\Ron>nslookup www.hostileanon.com
Server:  75-114-81-1.net.bhntampa.com
Address:  75.114.81.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.hostileanon.com
Address:  127.151.93.76

You have entered the address backwards.    127 is a loopback private address so it must be reversed.  (DNS info is always entered backwards from the rest of the world) 
If I reverse the address whois says it belongs to Time Warner.  

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Do I have to ask time warner to give me another ip? Will that address work in my a record?

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I don't have a static ip offered through my isp thank you knowing is half the battle I feel wiser and very stupid

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If they don't offer a static IP then it will probably still work as long as you don't turn off or reset your router or do anything else which might require you to get a new IP address assigned.

You are back to offering the 192 address again:

Address:  192.168.0.126

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Where do I change that record with my server or the registrar do I make a virtual host on that ip set my server static to that ip and to be clear I take the address given on whereismyip and use it as my server address?

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I signed up for free dns and I can't figure that out either I set up name servers with registrar I just don't know if they give me an ip they give me and if so I obviously don't know where to put the ip once I get it or we wouldn't be chatting

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Change my host address for server? Set my server static to the wan ip on my router?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I thought you would just go back and change the 127.151.93.76 you put in to the reverse.  Instead you are offering 

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup www.hostileanon.com
Server:  75-114-81-1.net.bhntampa.com
Address:  75.114.81.1

Address:  69.197.18.190

Which is the IP of FreeDNS.

Advertisements

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
When I did put in the reverse address I couldn't access from an outside computer so once again I tried to make an ssl cert with lets encrypt because I believed I needed one to access my site through my lte network and when I thought the static ip from my isp might be an issue I investigated free dns I registered the name server for freedns to my 1and1 and boom public site but now I don't know how to point it to my server so I can implement the Wordpress template I installed I would like to finish what we started so I am going to change my domain back to my home router as you suggested when I use the server on its static ip I just type my domain name/Wordpress and get the template that is ideally what I want to have happen on a public site if I could get my server document root pointed to my freedns domain cool if I could use my router wan as the record for my domain still the question is how do I get my apache vhost to run it how do I get Wordpress from my server on my public site

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
After I changed the name servers I can't bring up Wordpress on localhost I get an apache error page my problem before had a website nobody could see problem now I have an index page on my domain name I don't know how to change

Mikepmac

Mikepmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It worked you are the man my wordpress won work on local host anymore though not sure why

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I can see your webpage now:

[attachment=84249:web.JPG]

If you type in the local IP address of your server (I suppose it's 192.168.0.126)  on a browser on a PC in the local network does it work then?  If so you just need to add an entry to the hosts files on your local PCs to tell them to go to 192.168.0.126 instead of the Internet address they get from dns.

The hosts file is at \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
You would put the following line after the last comment.

192.168.0.126  www.hostileanon.com

Windows has made it hard to work with the hosts file.  You may have to take ownership of the file so you can change the permissions.  Might be easier to use
host HostsXpert

The file is a zip file so you need to right click on it and Extract All.  Then open the folder and finally right click on the HostsXpert.exe file and Run As Admin.  Then you just click on Edit and put  192.168.0.126  www.hostileanon.com in the block below where it says where it says Add Line then click on Add Line and close HostsXpert.