Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Enclosure for SSD taken from laptop

• Please log in to reply

Dan1701

Dan1701

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi everyone,

I recently had my laptop die, and need to recover the data from the it's SSD (and hopefully reatin it as an external drive). The SSD is a Crucial M500 240GB. Crucial's site says its 2.5", but the enclosure I ordered to that specification does not fit. Can anyone point me to the correct (hopefully cheap) thing to buy?

Thanks all.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0160.JPG

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

What did you get that didn't work?

Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP)

should work.  It's on Amazon for $9.99

You could get a HD docking station instead:

Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP] (DS-UBLK).  Amazon $22.49

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Your pic shows a mSATA drive. As such, you will need a mSATA to USB adapter, like one of these: https://www.amazon.c...ata usb adapter

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Good call.  Without a reference it looked bigger.  

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

:) Thanks.