Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop processor upgrade

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Farie977, Being that it is an OEM (brand name) computer you will need to contact Sony and ask them, the three CPUs are all compatible with the same socket type MB but the MBs pres... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Farie977

Farie977

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Since I'm using my laptop for rendering nowadays, I was wondering if it's possible to swap out the processor with a slightly better one.

The laptop I'm using is a VAIO E Series (SVE14122CVB) and it has a 3rd-gen Core i3-3110M running at 2.4ghz, and the processor that I was planning to swap is a Core i7-3540M or an i5-3320M.

Is it possible to do this swap? Both processors have some additional features and different frequencies, but I was wondering if it's possible or not.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   Farie977,

Being that it is an OEM (brand name) computer you will need to contact Sony and ask them, the three CPUs are all compatible with the same socket type MB but the MBs present BIOS may and is mostly likely not compatible with either the i5 or i7 CPU.

Please see the Upgrading rPGA988B motherboards information and the comments section here

Farie977

Farie977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

:welcome:   Farie977,

Being that it is an OEM (brand name) computer you will need to contact Sony and ask them, the three CPUs are all compatible with the same socket type MB but the MBs present BIOS may and is mostly likely not compatible with either the i5 or i7 CPU.

Please see the Upgrading rPGA988B motherboards information and the comments section here

Thank you so much! This helped me with my laptop!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up Farie977  :thumbsup: