Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with Windows 7, explorer lags, unable to launch programs or sca

• Please log in to reply

astorian

astorian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!

New here smile.png This is the first time ever I'm experiencing issues of this magnitude with any of my computers and I'm pretty clueless as to what to do. 
I found this forum a few hours ago and have made some progress with the tips I have found, but since I'm not coming any further to solving the problem by myself I figured I would create an account and try my luck. I'm crossing my fingers someone out there knows what to do.

(I run Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601.23642 Service Pack 1 (64-bit), FYI)

Here's the story:

Everything began 3-4 days ago when I noticed that my music production software Abletone Live Suite 9 refused to launch when I tried to open it. 

The only thing I remember downloading and installing the days before the problem appeared was an open source music editing software called Audacity. 
I think that it's a pretty legit program though, so it would surprise me if it carried a virus.

First I thought it was just Ableton having the issue, but then I started noticing that my Dropbox folders didn't sync.
Then I tried to create some new folders and started noticing that something was wrong with that too.
The whole Explorer function of Windows seems to be affected.
When I try to delete, create or move files and folders I can't see the changes as they happen. 
However if I exit the folder in question and go back to it, the changes have been made. 
The same happens if I right click and hit "Refresh". Same when I restart the computer.

Navigating the explorer is sometimes slower than usual and sometimes it seems to be working like usual.
When I open "My Computer" I sometimes see no harddrives, just blank space, while the green loading indicator "behind" the file directory bar of the explorer window increases super slowly. (I hope that description made sense for you...)

Today I noticed a new thing. For the first time I realized that Ableton does in fact run, but it takes several minutes just to get to the loading screen.
Ordinarily the loading screen loads instantly and lasts just a couple of seconds. 
Now it took minutes for it to show and minutes until I got into the program.
I can run other types of programs, such as Spotify or web browsers, without experiencing any issues.

I use a paid version of Avast, "Avast Pro Antivirus". It says that I'm protected, but I have a hard time believing this. 
When I try to scan the computer with the function called "Smart Scan", it stops at 6% and won't move forward.

I have read up on some forums and have tried several programs that people seem to use to diagnose and alleviate issues like these.
Most of these programs stop in the middle of the process and crash.

I have tried tried to follow the following guide: https://www.bleeping...keeps-freezing/

Among all the programs "boopme" recommends in the thread, I could only get the program "ADW Cleaner" to finish its process. 
It found 63 dangerous files and removed them, from what I can tell. The computer is still infected though. I'm still experiencing the same issues as before. 
JRT worked too. It removed some stuff. I have the logs in case anyone's interested.

These programs crashed in the middle of their respective processes:
- MiniToolBox (stops on the step "List installed programs")
- TDSSKiller (when I start the scan the only thing that happens is that the duration the scan has lasted is showng. 
0 objects processed, no threats found. It doesn't get anywhere, basically. 
And further I can't close the program after it has crashed, not even by using the task manager.
- ESET (stops on 0%, error message 101)
- I tried running "tweaking.com Windows Repair" and it seemed to be working fine until the segment where it would start the repair processes, 
but when I pressed "Open Repairs" the program crashed and the window disappeared.

This is where I am right now in my research. Honestly I'm a bit out of my depth. 
If there is anybody out there who could take a look at my problem I would be so incredibly grateful. 
I do my work on this computer and as it is now I'm completely incapacitated.

I run Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601.23642 Service Pack 1 (64-bit).

Please let me know if you need more information and I will provide it as best as I can.

(And lastly, another piece of info. I had to upgrade to a 512 GB SSD from a 128 GB a couple of months ago since I ran out of space on the Windows disk.
I now run Windows from the new 512 SSD. I followed the instructions that came with the Samsung SSD in order to do this.
However, ever since then the computer has made beeping sounds now and then. 
When it happens, the computer freezes for a second or so until the beep recedes.
The beeps come out of the speaker and not the computer itself. 
The beeps last for about half a second and most of the time occurs "one by one", but sometimes at some times the beep occur quite frequently, 
and in those cases they sort of "stack" on top of eachother (if that makes sense), causing the computer to lag for several seconds, 
and in some rare cases forcing me to shut of the computer.
I don't know if this is related to the new problems, but I just thought I'd mention it.)

Regards
Robert

Edited by astorian, 02 March 2017 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

See if you can get any of these to run:

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

Get Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), 
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

astorian

astorian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello! 

Thank you for your reply! I will start doing the tests as soon as possible.

Until I start I just want to check if the new SSD could be the main issue...

I still think it's a virus issue but I think it's good to exclude other possibilities before I start scanning.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can :)

Robert