Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange question about driver updates

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Greetings,

This question may be for all driver updates but since it is for a network adapter, I will ask it here and I will explain my reasoning. Will a driver update for one brand of computer work for another brand of computer?

Here is why I am asking. I have an Asus K53E running Windows 7. Its network adapter is a Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC. According to Asus, the serial number for this laptop says it is running Windows Vista and that there are NO Realtek drivers in it. Windows 7 was what was running on it when I took it out of the box and the box says it is running Windows 7. Last year, I updated to Windows 10, ran it for a few months, did not like it, and took it out. To take Windows 10 out and reinstall the previous operating system, I had to go to the hidden partition and reinstall from there. It reinstalled Windows 7 with the Realtek network adapter. So, Asus is useless to me. 

I am starting to get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" message, a lot, which leads me to believe I need to update the network adapter. Realtek's website does not have an update for the RTL8188CE. (And neither does Asus, for that matter.) I searched the web and found an update for the adapter. It is for a Lenovo. Several models are listed. And so I was wondering, will that update work with my Asus?

Thanks.

tjmcs

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello tjmcs,

The same hardware devices are used on many brands of computer but each one of them may modify the drivers specifically for their own use.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Here is link. I think.

http://speccy.pirifo...1KmiYgyJedWjGkJ

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

From your OP;

I had to go to the hidden partition and reinstall from there. It reinstalled Windows 7 with the Realtek network adapter. So, Asus is useless to me. 

Looked at the downloads available from ASUS and can think of two possible explanations as to why they offer no specific drivers for your Realtek NIC.

1: If you check the ASUS downloads under the Chipset tab you will see the description Intel INF Update Driver, much of today`s modern hardware does not rely on their own drivers but use Windows generic drivers instead, this is where the Intel Inf update driver comes in, what the driver does is tell Windows what hardware is present and then if it has them Windows loads it`s own generic drivers for the device, some info here

After any clean install of an OS the first drivers that are normally installed are the MBs chipset drivers, the reason for this is because it helps any other required drivers install correctly and most importantly it is normally required before the end user can gain internet access.

2: This less likely, the drivers may be bundled with the ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility.

Again from your OP;

I am starting to get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" message, a lot, which leads me to believe I need to update the network adapter.

Not sure that this is an NIC issue, I note that you also have Google, what happens if you only use that and not IE - which one is set as your default browser.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Internet Explorer is my browser. Google is Google Earth.

tjmcs

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Try temporarily using Chrome as your browser then and see if you get the same problem as with IE.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Tried Chrome. No error messages but operates at a snails pace. Probably why no errors. I am not able to surf as I can with IE. Chrome to slow. Going back to IE. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Suggests that your hardware is ok and that the problem is with IE.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Kinda figured that. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Try disabling all of the add-ons in IE and test, if no problems occur, try re enabling the add-ons one at a time to see if anything specific causes the problem to reappear, see copy/paste steps below;

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

2.       Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.

3.       Under Show, click Downloaded controls to display all ActiveX controls.

4.       Click the ActiveX control you want to delete, and then click More information.

5.       In the More Information dialog box, click RemoveIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6.       Repeat steps 4 and 5 for every control you want to delete. When you are finished, click Close.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Have not thought about that. Thanks. I will try and inform.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup:

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Have tried suggestions and chrome. IE still a problem. Getting several stopped working errors. With chrome, get an occasional will not load error when attempting to go to some websites. So much more infrequent than IE errors. Main problem is it is to slow. And even here, it would not let me sign in. Will use chrome for most of web surfing and IE if I need to.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Windows has not been updated for almost 11 months and previous to that many failed to install, before doing anything else you should try and get Windows fully up to date as not doing so is a security risk, you may want to leave the computer updating overnight as it will take a good few hrs, see convenience rollup info here

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Notebook
Installation Date: 2/29/2016 5:07:19 AM
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 2 - Default
Firewall: Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Disabled

5/15/2016 Update for Windows (KB958488)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Shared