Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Randoming restarting and freezing

Restarting Freezing Crashing Support Failure

• Please log in to reply

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Howdy! So, I built this PC a few months ago. It works well, really powerful, no complaints. But, it has the tendency to restart, (shuts off, but not fully, LEDs and fans still running.) and freeze. (which requires me to restart it.)

It also has this issue, where the screen will turn black, and then return. It happens within a second, but only during games. It causes me to close games like Overwatch, due to, "Graphics processor is lost." 

I've asked about this before on another forum, and it was thought my PSU was insufficient. I replaced it with a Tier-1 PSU, and it still faces crashes. I'll list my parts. On a side-note to that, I will run any program/test needed in order to help, so don't be afraid to ask me to run programs. I've reinstalled all drivers, with my GPU being reinstalled 3 times. 

AMD FX-6350 Black Edition (Overclocked to 4.2 GHz)
Gigabyte RX 460 OC WINDFORCE 4GB 
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro-ATX AM3+ Motherboard

XFX 550W Gold PSU

1x8 Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 

WD Cavier 1TB HDD 

LG Optical Drive 

(And just in case my tower case is needed, it's a Ranger-M.) 

Attached Files

Edited by Spectralunicorn1, 05 March 2017 - 07:29 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday,  :welcome:

Your linked  DxDiag does not match your specs list, it shows,

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
             System Model: Inspiron 3847
Please run a new one and include in your next reply.

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I saved a new one, and it's also saying it's a dell inspiron. I don't have anything close to dell, but I don't know how to fix. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

You are not getting an actual error about the tool itself, and a complete report for a different system, I have not seen before.

I am going to ask for help from our Staff Desk.   Please be patient as it could take a couple of days for another member to respond.

Thanks. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been suggested you run Speccy and post the url 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GUi30d481txe0qINMAaqKEc 

Here it is, I hope this helps much more! 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Sorry but your link returns "page not found"

Please run SPECCY again and with the results window open on the Desktop, follow this guide.

http://www.techsuppo...specifications/

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I did that the last time, but here's a new one as asked. 

http://speccy.pirifo...ligA4Rvx3B6J1CW

Hope it helps! :D 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update, that link works.

For Ref, your MB Manual, > http://dlcdnet.asus....A78L-M-USB3.pdf

A few issues shown in SPECCY, including, voltage not showing correctly, CPU running a bit warm for an idle system, but we will get to that later.

First we need to try for a stable system, before running tests.

Please power on, > enter BIOS, > go to the Exit Menu > select Load Setup Defaults, > press Enter, > confirm Y > click OK.   You will reboot to the desktop.

Use for half an hour, let us know if issues persist.

Download Display Driver Uninstaller from this page, (Save to the Desktop) >  http://www.wagnardso...U v17.0.5.5.exe

Download WHQL Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1 from this page, (Save to the Desktop) > http://support.amd.c...Windows 10 - 64

Important, Please read before running DDU.

Create a restore point.

Right click DDU, > run as admin, > leave "normal Mode" selected, > click Launch.

When DDU opens, > go top > click Options, > untick Show offers from our partners. > close window.

Click on Clean and Restart  Drivers will be removed and your computer will start in safe mode.

Right click on the driver download file on the Desktop.  > select run as Admin, > leave Express Install selected  (this will insure your personnel display setting are preserved)  > click start, > follow any prompts. 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

oh? reinstalling my drivers? Alright, did and done that before. I'll do it once more. I'll do the BIOS reset, and then I'll report any freezes or crashes. (as for the SPECCY CPU temperatures, I just got done playing a match of league of legends before posting that. like, only seconds before posting.) 

Edited by Spectralunicorn1, 09 March 2017 - 03:31 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If you had not used DDU before, it's use ensures that there can be less problems with remnants of old drivers left behind.

Noted CPU speccy temps comment.

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

ok so, played about 30 minutes. No crashes, installed the drivers. No crashes or freezes yet, but they usually happen once or up to four times a day. So far so good, I'll play some more to see if it'll crash. I've done driver replacement before, and it reduced the crashes. (by my observations) 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I played more, computer crashed at aprox. 7:14 in the middle of a league of legends match. Same as others. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

This is not the most accurate way of testing, but should eliminate CPU overheating as a cause of problems.

Please download CPU-Z Setup English from this page. http://www.cpuid.com...ares/cpu-z.html

Close any open programs, including browsers.

Start Speccy, > left window, > click CPU > right window > click the little window to the right of Average Temps.

A graph will open with temps on the left, note down the reading. see screenshot. 

Start CPU-Z > on the top Menu, > click Banch . at the bottom > click Stress CPU, run for ten minutes watching the temp, note down the max reached.

Stop the stress test, close the programs. 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

It reached a max of about 54 cel., and started at about ~35. Ran it for about 10, then again for 20. It yielded the same result.