Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Randoming restarting and freezing

Restarting Freezing Crashing Support Failure

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's a good result.

Test the RAM next, then we will look at GPU.

Download link, (you need this older version for your system) http://www.memtest86...3.7-usb.img.zip

How to create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.
  2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.
  3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive
  4. When complete, > reboot, press the Boot Manger F key. > boot from the USB stick.   
  5. Memtest will start the default test immediately, > Run for at least 2 hours.

Advertisements

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hey, some more stuff I forgot to mention. I just remembered it, because it just happened. Sometimes, whenever I'm playing a game, my screen will blackout. I'll hear everything, but my screen will blackout for a second, and then reconnect. It's like unplugging my HDMI and plugging it back in, really quickly. This causes stuff overwatch to "Lose graphical processor," or some error like that. I hope that gives more insight! 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Could be another symptom of your problem.

Have you done the Memtest86 yet?   What was the error count?

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I don't have a spare USB to use, so I can't run memtest86. The one i normally used broke. Though, if this means anything, I think I once ran a command somewhere in the past that I think checked memory. I don't know all of it, just a distant memory. (Even though it was weeks ago) 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Checking RAM from within the OS is not very conclusive, you need a stand alone utility to eliminate, as much as possible, interference/influence of other system parts.

Make a bootable CD/DVD.

Download linked ISO and save to the desktop.> http://www.memtest86...6-4.3.7-iso.zip

Right click the ISO and select, "extract here"

Place a blank CD into the burner.

Right click on the extracted ISO, >from the drop down menu,  select Burn Disk Image.

Windows Disk Image Burner will open.

Select the Optical drive.

Tick the verify box.. click Burn.

When finished, > close the Burner, > restart the and boot from the CD.

Memtest will run auto after about five seconds.   Run for 2 hours.

Make a note of the number of passes completed and number of errors.

Remove the disk and restart the computer. 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hey, I ran the test, all the times I did (three times.) It froze. With the first one about ~15 minutes, and the last two about 4 minutes. It didn't show any errors, but it did freeze, if that tells you anything. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Had the same issue on a recent topic, Memtest freezing.   There are heaps of reasons it won't work and because it does not generate a log file, it's very hard to find the reason it fails on your system.

Lets see if we can get some sort of result using Windows tool.

Press Windows key + R.   The run box will open.

Copy and paste the bolded text into the box, mdsched.exe > click OK. a new window will open.

Close any other open programs, including browser.

In the window that opened, > click Restart Now and check for Problems.

Please post the results.

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I don't find any files that seem to relate to it, but it gave me the notification that there wasn't any problems detected. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Well that looks like not a major issue with RAM but, mdsched will not find errors that Memtest will spot.

Is this a new PSU? XFX 550W Gold,   What was installed before?

Please run SPECCY again, it will generate a new report, please post the new url.

Stress test the GPU. download from > http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Please read the whole of this article > http://www.makeuseof...furmark-gaming/

Please use these setting,

Start Furmark and click the Stability Test option under Run Mode. A graphics card stability test is a test which runs constantly until you decide to shut it down. Click the Go! button in the lower right hand corner of the application.   to stop Furmark, press the escape key. 

When running, watch the temps graph, temps should climb quickly then run at an even temp.   If it crashes, note how high the temps go.

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

The old PSU was some EVGA 500W, non-certified. Was thought to be the issue, but now it's apparent it's not. 

http://speccy.pirifo...kfC21bjwmOj0KH8

Here's the speccy link, I'll give you the GPU test results in an hour or two, long story on why. 

Oh yeah, here's some more information on my crashes. Sometimes, I get the windows 10 notification that " Radeon Wattman has restored from an unexpected failure" or something in those lines. I don't use the wattman, so I don't know what that means. 

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Speccy shows your Volts way off, most likely a glitch, but we should check. 

Page #18 fo the manual > http://dlcdnet.asus....A78L-M-USB3.pdf

Restart, > enter BIOS, > go to the Power Menu. > select HW Monitor.

Select the Vcore voltage tab, please write down what the sensors displayed values.  then

Your CPU fan is running full speed.

Go to the Q-fan tab, > If Turbo is selected, > change it to Standard.

Go to the exit menu, > select Save Setting, > confirm yes.

The Radeon Wattman info may be the main cause of all your problems.  It appears to be a known issue that AMD has not as yet, or can't fix. 

See first post from this  search, > https://www.google.c...pOoy48QXthKaoBA

I will wait for your GPU stress test and see if I can find a Wattman solution. 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Ok. the volts were as it goes.
VCore= 1.44V
3.3V= 3.36~3.38
5V= 5.07V
12V= 12.18

My fans were standard, don't know why they ran so much. As for the GPU stress test, It reached to about 65 tops, then I exited off because I thought that was too high. Usually my temps will stay in the 50s when I play a game. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gay.

Those temps shown are when the computer is idling.  5v and 12v are good, 3.3v is out of spec, max should be 3.45.   may need further investigation later if other troubleshooting fails.

65C is not too high, max before it shuts down is 90C    Please run Furmark again, try for half an hour.   Watch the graph, it should climb quickly then flatten out and temp should remain fairly steady.   The line may have some little squiggles in it, but should not have jagged spikes.   If the temp teaches 85C stop.

Let us know the top temp reached and how that line looked.

When you built the rig, did you use the GPU driver disk to install the driver/software?

At that time did everything work OK?

Can you remember when the problems started, say after updating the video drivers.

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I'll run the program and tell you how it goes. 

I did install through a disc, the first time atleast.
At the time, I didn't have any issues. My first crash was only a few days after I built it, when I played The Witcher 2.
The crashes started after the initial crash, the one stated above. The freezes only started about ~2-3 weeks ago.

As a side note, don't know if this helps. My GPU was amazon refurbished, and anyone else who bought them said that theirs worked just fine. Don't know if that tells you anything or not.  

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Ran the test, it started at about 30C, and it slowly rose up to about 56C. No more, no less. Also, piece of advice, don't look at the stress test for that whole 30 minutes. Doesn't feel good on the eyes man.