Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing OSX Sierra on iMac

Best Answer itsmesunny , 31 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

Hi, in regards to my post above, because I have an early 2009 iMac, El Capitan is the maximum OSX that I can install. I had not mentioned that important info. My apologies. Otherwise, I... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Hi!

I have an Early 2009 iMac now using El Capitan.

I read that I can install Sierra if I do this:

OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" officially, macOS 10.12 "Sierra" unofficially with Sierra Patcher

Things you'll need:
-A copy of the macOS Sierra Installer App. This can be obtained from the Mac App Store using a machine that supports Sierra, or if you don't have one, you can download a copy here
-A USB drive that's at least 8 GB in size
-A copy of the tool - Download here (Current version: 4.2.3)
*View changelog and download older versions here

I found this info here:

https://en.wikipedia...)#Aluminum_iMac

I compared the supported card in System Preferences under Network, Wi-Fi, Interfaces, en1 and I have "Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E)

which according to this info, is supported on my iMac.

I have an 8 GB USB drive.

It looks like I have what I need to do it.

Does anyone know if this is safe to do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

in regards to my post above, because I have an early 2009 iMac, El Capitan is the maximum OSX that I can install.

I had not mentioned that important info. :upset: My apologies. Otherwise, I could easily install Sierra.

That is why I posted the info about a way that I could upgrade my OSX, to see if this is a way that I can do it.

With that said, anyone know of what I wrote about above and if it is OK to do it?

Thanks