Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX 560 Ti

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 March 2017 - 03:24 AM

You have more or less confirmed yourself that the GTX 560Ti is failing then. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Nordiclion

Nordiclion

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey, when I play games, my gpu usually goes up to 99-100-101 celcius, it idles at around 56C. I have cleaned it and replaced thermal paste, but it didn't change anything. I got one gpu fan, one massive fan aiming down over the motherboard, one at the side and one on the front. Can I keep on playing, because I am worried it will explode or can the card handle it?

Edited by Nordiclion, 07 March 2017 - 12:47 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    Nordiclion,

when I play games, my gpu usually goes up to 99-100-101 celcius, it idles at around 56C. I have cleaned it and replaced thermal paste,

That is way too hot for both scenarios.

I got one gpu fan, one massive fan aiming down over the motherboard, one at the side and one on the front.

Ideally you should have a chassis exhaust fan at the rear, the PSUs cooling fan does not count btw.

Can I keep on playing, because I am worried it will explode or can the card handle it?

Would strongly advise against it until the issue has been resolved, we need some additional info;

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

As above but for your case.

Nordiclion

Nordiclion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

:welcome:    Nordiclion,

when I play games, my gpu usually goes up to 99-100-101 celcius, it idles at around 56C. I have cleaned it and replaced thermal paste,

That is way too hot for both scenarios.

I got one gpu fan, one massive fan aiming down over the motherboard, one at the side and one on the front.

Ideally you should have a chassis exhaust fan at the rear, the PSUs cooling fan does not count btw.

Can I keep on playing, because I am worried it will explode or can the card handle it?

Would strongly advise against it until the issue has been resolved, we need some additional info;

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

As above but for your case.

PSU: http://www.coolermas...eries/b700ver2/

Chassi: https://www.quietpc.com/ae-strikex-air

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Definitely shouldn`t be getting those temps with that chassis and while not the best quality the 700W PSU.

Please see below (no need to quote every reply btw)

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Nordiclion

Nordiclion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Here you go

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.PNG
  • hw1.PNG
  • hw2.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The top part of the HWMonitor screenshot is missing, can upload just that part for us, going offline shortly as I have an early start but have left you something else to check below

From what we can see it is only the GPU that is hot atm meaning that it could be on it`s way out, the +5 and +12V rails on the PSU are not showing so another check needs to be done.

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Nordiclion

Nordiclion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I was unsure about exactly what to give you so I took pictures. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170307_233520.jpg
  • IMG_20170307_233500.jpg
  • hw3.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, got sidetracked yesterday  

No +5V readings but everything else looks in order, suggestion, physically remove the GTX 560 Ti from the MB then do some light gaming using the CPUs integrated graphics then check your temps for us please.

Nordiclion

Nordiclion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Actually, I'm just thinking that it's because it's an old card? I mean, I got the 2x4 pins connected to them, it should be fine but it's not. I'm thinking it's simply the age, so tired of trying to fix it :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Did you do the suggested testing yet Nordiclion.

Nordiclion

Nordiclion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

No, because it really feels like it's something with the card. I'm using my other card right now, Radeon 6870 and the temp is 42C.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

You have more or less confirmed yourself that the GTX 560Ti is failing then.

Nordiclion

Nordiclion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes.