Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure if I need an Ethernet Hub or Switch..

• Please log in to reply

ChevyFan

ChevyFan

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello,

I recently moved into a new place, the modem is downstairs, and upstairs I have my computer and Nvidia Shield TV, currently as it is I am running ONE Ethernet cable from downstairs to my room upstairs...BUT, the only problem with this is I have to choose between having my PC have access to the internet with the Ethernet cable (as for some reason my mobo doesn't have built in Wi-Fi), and then if I choose to use the Ethernet cable with my PC, then my Nvidia Shield just uses Wi-Fi, (Which sucks for streaming games with "Nvidia Geforce Now"

So...I can't run two cables from my room to the modem downstairs as my landlord does not want two cables running through his house..what I would LIKE to do is have the ONE cable run from downstairs to my room, and then have THIS cable connect to like a Hub, or a Switch, or whatever it is that I actually need, and THEN plug my PC into THIS hub using a separate Ethernet Cable, and then also plug my Nvidia Shield into this hub as well, then I can have a wired connection for both devices.

Can someone tell me what it is that I would need to do this properly? would it be a switch? I'm slightly confused as I have never done this before.

I am not running on some crazy T3 line or something, max download speed for me is about 25 - 27 megabits per second.. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I just need something that will work for the internet speed that I have, and what I want to do with it..

If anyone has any suggestions of specific products I should buy then PLEASE post them in your reply!

Diagram Here:

https://www.dropbox....iagram.jpg?dl=0

Thank you!

- David

Edited by ChevyFan, 11 March 2017 - 01:35 AM.

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Hubs tend to be switches these days. One of these would do nicely https://www.amazon.c...B00KFD0SMC?th=1- 5 port switch. Plug the output cable from your router into one port, and your PC and console into another 2. Job done, with two ports left for expansion