Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Etower 500is

• Please log in to reply

runningart2004

runningart2004

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just came into possession of a FREE Emachine, the Etower 500is, 64MB(or 128, not sure) RAm, 4.5?GB Hard drive. It's missing a few things, namely the sound card and seemingly a WORKING internal modem...ha. It had Win98se in the box but the wanker who had it before me installed ME (even my computer illiterate butt knows that's not wise). He said the machine had some problems. Apparently what he didn't realize is that he had A LOT of pointless programs (3 or 4 internet providers, etc). I cleaned it up ok and it's running fine..for my tastes anyway.

So what I'm planning on doing is upgrading the RAM, I think it can hold 256MB, getting a sound card and hopefully try to return to Win98se or upgrade (if possible?) to WIN 2000. I would try XP but I don't think the machine is strong enough. So, since I've NEVER upgraded a machine before I'm looking for some tips. I've opened it up and have a general idea of where things go. I am however having a problem getting the current modem to work and I'm not sure if it's the modem or my ineptness. Anytime I try to "access" the modem it say "no modem available" though it's clearly in the slot. Is it me? or the 5 year old modem? Is this a worthwhile upgrade? So in the end I'll have a 4.5GB hard drive, 246RAM, 500 mhrtz? (I think) processor. I'll probably play some old school games like Starcraft and Diablo..:tazz: Any thoughts?

Alan

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try taking the modem out starting the machine up shutting it down and putting it back in. if it doesnt detect it it may be bad

runningart2004

runningart2004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Another question...

I've been looking up info on the 500is and it says (i think) that the audio is "built in"? If so then why can't I hear anything? Will buying a sound card prove pointless?

Alan

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
disable the sound card in device manager and reinstall it

runningart2004

runningart2004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Looks like XP will install on it. Should I?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depends. does it far exceed the requirements? or just barely. if y ou want to play games i would go with the least inrusive OS. xp is a damned good system but so is 2000

runningart2004

runningart2004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks