Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware Bytes program keeps bringing up blocked website notices consta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I've freed up 74.9 GB. I think my music is taking up a great deal of space but it's not as simple as just running a program to get rid of duplicates. Last time I did that, I ended up losing some that weren't actually duplicates. I had purchased a great many songs from iTunes in the past before realizing that I could get music from Amazon without having to then convert them into MP3 format because they came in that format, whereas iTunes songs do NOT. As I mentioned in a previous post, my hard-drive actually got duplicated itself because the guy who worked on my computer several months ago failed to tell me that he had already backed up my hard-drive and put everything back on before he brought it back. They don't always do this, or that's been my experience anyway, and of those that did, it always cost me extra to have them put it all back. Anyway, it ended up that he and I BOTH put everything back. Before that, I still had a good deal of space. Today, I am going to go into my iTunes and take out a lot more, enough to free up the necessary space and then some, as well as going into my documents and purge what I can there. Is there some way that u can look at what I have after I've done that and see if there are old system files or similar things that need to come off that only somebody like you would know about? I want to make sure that the windows update issue is fixed. It could be that you can see where some things have duplicate files that I might not be aware of. I'm going to make the computer my priority until I have the issue resolved and by that, I mean I am going to work on it 24/7.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

I think resolving your issue may require adding another drive or 2 inside the computer, and put all the music on a separate drive like mine is on drive f. That way you can continue to download music and not worry about the "C" drive where the operating system is not getting filled up and preventing windows from operating correctly.

See how mine is set up
Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:111.69 GB) (Free:43.84 GB) NTFS
Drive d: (Movies TV) (Fixed) (Total:931.51 GB) (Free:375.15 GB) NTFS
Drive e: (Raptor) (Fixed) (Total:139.73 GB) (Free:138.4 GB) NTFS
Drive f: (Music) (Fixed) (Total:465.76 GB) (Free:230.62 GB) NTFS
This was set up for me, actually the computer was given to me and set up this way. I'm not a hardware person and adding drives is not my specialty. Keep freeing up space and try to get at least 15 percent free of the total amount of your hard drive total capacity. Then we will look at windows up date that has it's own set of issues now..

I would also do a disc clean up from within windows

See disc clean up instructions here-->http://www.dummies.c...ws-7-and-vista/
I don't mean to say you're a dummy :) It was the best link I could find.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

lol, a dummy when it comes to a lot of computer stuff, for sure.. Can you give me an idea of how much it would cost to add an extra drive? The reason I'm asking is that I hope to upgrade my whole computer sometime in the next few months but probably adding another drive in the meantime would be a good idea. I spend quite a bit on music, I admit. I gave up p2p programs like LimeWire and bit torrents a long time ago when I found out that they were a source for lots of viruses so most all of what u see on here I bought at one time or another and that doesn't count what isn't on here. I also don't buy cds anymore but prefer to buy individual mp3s or whole mp3 albums on amazon. I plan to eventually get ALL of my music on the external hard-drive I have just for music but an extra internal hard drive would be more convenient and would help with storing future music purchases until I get them moved to the external hard-drive. I am working tonight on clearing off more on iTunes and will call the computer store tomorrow about adding another hard-drive. I will do the disc cleanup as well.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I'm getting a price on hard drives today. What size do you think I will need. I believe what I have now is 1TB. My external hard-drive that I back my computer up onto is 4TB.  A 1TB hard-drive is $103. What size do you think I need, keeping in mind that I am always adding music, videos, etc...?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
A 1TB hard-drive is $103.

Sounds good to me should have plenty of room.

https://www.newegg.c...6-339-_-Product

Joe :)

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Actually, I ordered a 2TB hard-drive and it will be in in a couple of days and hopefully be put in by Friday. I'm going to see if the tech will show me how to move all of my music over to the new drive. Once I do that, are there some things we need to check on the system and clear up? My computer wont do a system restore right now because of the space issue and whatever else might be affected by the space issue might need to be checked agtr that issue is resolved. Darn, I wish I had seen that link before I ordered one! A !TB was $103 at the place I got mine from!

Edited by betsym, 05 April 2017 - 04:34 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

When you get the space issue fixed we will check it all out. Windows up date can be an issue too. It's been problematic for a lot of users and you probably have a lot of up dates to install. so just a warning there, but we will work through it if issue arises.

Thanks
Joe :)

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Ok, I've gotten a 2TB internal hard-drive installed and transferred my music to it. That freed up a lot of space. I have 726 GB out of 931 GB free on the C drive and 1.18 TB free out of 1.81 TB on the Second drive (E drive). The computer wants to freeze up some while I'm in iTunes and we definitely need to look at a few things so I await your suggestions.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

Windows up date have we got those installed ?

Tracking down a freezing problem can be difficult. Mine freezes too for no reason. Can't figure it out just yet.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I think so. How to check and see? I don't notice the computer being any faster either. sorry it took me so long posting back. I had to do some things for a couple days. My monitor suddenly goes black every once in a while too. I'm not sure what is causing that...

Edited by betsym, 19 April 2017 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
In one of your posts you said:

There is something MAJOR going on with my computer!!! When I shut it down a while ago, it said it was installing 222 updates. It got to update 178 and got stuck there.

If you're not getting that message at shut down they must have installed.

Next

Download then run Speccy (free) https://www.piriform.com/speccy and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I gotsome message saying I wasn't permitted to upload this kind of file!!! The report is on my desktop.

Edited by betsym, 21 April 2017 - 04:09 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

We usually do it this way
http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

And you just have to post a link for me to the speccy profile

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I did all that. I copied it to the clipboard. If you can tell me how to direct you to it from there, that would be helpful. The report is also saved to my desktop.

Edited by betsym, 23 April 2017 - 12:31 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

Perhaps you can you attach the file

How to attach a file:
  • Below the Reply to this topic box, click on More Reply Options button.
  • Scroll down and click on Browse button.
  • Navigate to where the file is that you want to attach
  • Click on the file then click the Open button.
  • Click the Attach This File button.
  • Click Add Reply button once you have completed your post and are ready to submit.