Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade for ASRock N68C-GS4 FX

Best Answer anarxaki , 18 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Thanx for the suggestions, FX-43 was my first choice too. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

anarxaki

anarxaki

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

My computer is constantly running with 60-80% use of CPU and 60-70% use of RAM. I think it's time for an upgrade.
The motherboard is relatively new (I was forced to replace it since the old one had RAM issues) and I would like to keep it. I was thinking of buying a new 8core processor and 8GB DDR3 RAM.

I'm no gamer, I'm using the on-board sound and graphic cards, I mainly use my computer to surf social media, watching movies and creating subtitles. I am hoping that this upgrade will be enough for 4 years. There is no specific budget but I'd wish to keep it under $300.

The thing is, I don't know how to choose my new CPU and RAM. Can you please help?

Motherboard: ASRock N68C-GS4 FX

CPU support list

Memory support list

Edited by anarxaki, 17 March 2017 - 07:22 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello anarxaki,

Can you let us know the following details;

Are you running a 32 or 64-bit OS.

The present CPU name/number.

The amount and speed of RAM that you presently have.

All being well the following two suggestions costing less than $130 will do you.

AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8 GHz (4.0 GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W FD4300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor

Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 512Meg x 64 Memory Model BLS2K4G3D169DS3J

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Hello phillpower2,

my current CPU is AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ and 4GB of RAM (dual channel) Kingston 2G-UDIMM PC2-6400 DDR2 800. The OS is 64-bit.

I've been advised, since my motherboard is outdated and probably I will soon need to replace it, to keep my money and instead by a SSD. Do you think that this will help in any way?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello anarxaki,

An SSD would give you faster boot up times with the present system but overall it would only be as good as the rest of your hardware when in normal use, it really is a case of what you wish to upgrade.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
✓  Best Answer

Yeah, that's what I thought too.
Thanx for the suggestions, FX-43 was my first choice too.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome anarxaki  :)

Can I suggest that you check what version of BIOS you have, you may need to update it before swapping out the present CPU and fitting the new chip, some info here regarding BIOS info.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Thanx for the reminder!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome  :)