Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder designations in W10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Using a Dell desktop with W10 and Open Office Writer as my word processor I see that my saved documents are stored in folder C:\users\801\documents. I'm curious about the "801" designation. Was that name selected by Dell? Do those particular numbers (801) have any special significance?

I confess that I no longer understand the topology of W10 folders. An old codger, I was fine with the logic of directories under DOS (with its C:drive and its daughters) but am now confused with "desktop", "My PC", "801", etc. If anyone knows of a good primer on this subject I'd be glad to learn of it. To my mind, the jaunty but vacuous style of the Idiot books do not qualify.

Thanks. ....batpark

Advertisements

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Freebooter: 

When I view C:\users I see three entries: 801; Default, migrated; and Public. And when I click 801 I do indeed see my documents, as you say.

Several additional questions:

1. The designation "801": did I create that name or did Dell (the PC builder) do so; or was it created by the W10 OS? Does "801" have some special meaning or is it just a random number?

2. Whatever is the Default, migrated folder? Am I missing anything important not knowing?

3. Whatever are the Public folders? -- I see that all of my subfolders (Public Music, etc) are all empty.

Thank you for your help. ... batpark

... Batpark

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Are you using a local account or a Microsoft Account to login with? If a MS account then the 801 may be part of your account name???

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Footnoter and Ztruker: I appreciate your help and your patience but I am afraid I am still confused. (That the issue is just academic -- my confusion does not appear to effect my use of the PC -- doesn't make it less frustrating.)

Q1: When I boot up I am asked to select from two user names: 801 or Joe Smith (my name). I choose Joe Smith, enter a password and I get to my desktop. So I guess (answering Ztruker's question) I must be using a "local" account, right? And that 801 designation must refer to something Dell or MS selected, right?

Q2: Freebooter refers to C:\users and says I will find a "user profile folder" there. So far as I can see, I do not do so. I see only these three folders there: 801, Default.migrated, and Public. Where is my "profile folder"?

<What is> this "user profile folder"?

What are these Public folders; and what does it mean that all of my Public folders are empty?

Continued thanks. ..... batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

FreeBooter: Not sure what the "+ X keys" are, so I got to the Command prompt another way (Window key+R); and I  entered the command you suggested (Echo %UserProfile% | Clip). But got this error message: Windows cannot find "Echo". ????                         ... batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

What message do you get when you execute just Echo command?

1. I get to RUN by clicking the Windows key (to the right of Ctrl) + R

2. I type Echo into the Open box and then OK

3. I get message "Windows cannot find 'Echo."

???? .... batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

FreeBooter: Not sure how to get to Start Menu search box. But I DO know how to get to the command prompt (by Windows key (next to Ctrl) +R).

When at the command line    C:\users\801>   I enter echo I get the response "Echo is on."

... batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

FreeBooter: Really sorry to be so inept but .... HOW DO I GET to  my Clipboard?  ... batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Plse clarify your instructions. I think you are asking me to goto the command mode and execute  C:\Users\801> Echo %UserProfile% | Clip; 

and then to right-click a blank spot on my GtoG reply and select Paste. Is that right or not?

...batpark