Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virus infection

• Please log in to reply

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
OK! Well done. :thumbsup: Here is the best part of the process! The mullygrubs are gone! That's a technical term for your log(s) appear to be clean! If you have no further issues with your computer, please complete the housekeeping procedures outlined below.
The first thing we need to do is to remove all the tools that we have used. This is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions.

Tools CleanUp with DelFix

Download Delfix and save it to the Desktop.
  • Right click the 34079650-4cb0ca87s.jpg and click Run as Administrator.
  • Ensure ALL boxes are checked.
  • Click the Run button.
  • The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply.
Delete the following Files and Folders (If Present):

Delete any other .bat, .log, .reg, .txt, and any other files created or downloaded during this process, and left on the desktop and empty the Recycle Bin.

Keeping your software updated

Windows Updates
  • Please go to Start Menu -> Control Panel
  • Under View by: select Large Icons, then tap or click Windows Update.
  • Click on Change Settings

CheckForUpdates.JPG[/b]
  • Select "Install updates automatically (recommended)" from the Important updates drop-down.

WUChangeSettings.JPG
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet. The default is 3:00AM every day.
  • Ensure that all of the other check boxes are checked.
  • Click OK.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

I recommend keeping Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed. Make sure to update it and run it at least once a week. If it finds things such as PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) you can delete those with no worries. However, if it finds something like a trojan, come see us.

Keep Java Updated

Java has become the #1 program exploited by thieves and hackers as of today. It's gotten so bad, the Department of Homeland Security recently recommended that users disable Java on their machines.

For more information regarding this, see the two articles below:

Forbes: US Department of Homeland Security Calls on user do disable Java

US warns on Java software

Unless you have software on your machine that absolutely requires Java, I highly recommend you completely remove it from your system.
If you do have software that requires it, then disable it until such time as it's needed by those programs.
Please click the link below for instructions to disable and uninstall Java.

How to Disable Java in your Web Browser

How to Completely Remove and Uninstall Java From Windows PC

Filehippo Updatechecker

Another weapon against malicious programs and viruses is to keeping other programs updated. There are several programs out there that can check for out of date programs on your computer. One is Filehippo. You can run this on a weekly or monthly basis to check your programs for updates and then it will provide a link for you to download them.

Download Filehippo Updatechecker

Tips, Information, and Optional Installation

Watch what you open in your emails. If you get an email from an unknown source with any attached files, do not open it.

Be careful of the websites you visit.

When installing new programs, don't be "click happy" and click through the screens. Many programs come with adware in them and are set to install them by default. Several programs require that you uncheck or select no to prevent the installation. Take you time and read each screen as you go.

To help protect yourself while on the web, I recommend you read Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

Installation of Unchecky (Optional)

This is a very good little program that will automatically uncheck any boxes during a software installation. This helps prevent the software from installing any malware that is by default checked while the program is being installed.

Click here to be taken to Unchecky.com

Click the very large Download button.

Click Save

Once downloaded, double click the program (Vista, Win 7, and 8, right click and Run as Administrator)

Once open, click the Install button.

eF6qWPr.jpg

Then click Finish

1YmbKwi.jpg

Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked.

Installation of CryptoPrevent (Optional)

CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system. You may read more about this here.

To download and install:
  • Click CryptoPrevent
  • Under the Free Edition column, click on Download button to request for a download link and download to your Desktop
  • Extract the content of the zip file to your Desktop and right-click and select Run as Administrator
  • Accept all the defaults during the install. The last screen of the install has a checkmark in "Launch CryptoPrevent". This is good and will launch the program once you click Finish.
  • You will get a prompt asking if you purchased a Product Key for Automatic Updates. You can answer No.
  • You will then be prompted to learn more about automatic updates or if you want to purchase a key. This is up to you but you don't have to.
  • You will be prompted to click OK to continue and select your protection level. Go ahead and click OK.
  • Click the Apply button to set Default protection.
  • You may get a message stating that Windows Sidebar and Desktop Gadgets are a major security vulnerability and asking you if you want to disable them. If you don't use these features, answer Yes.
  • That's it. The protection is in place.
Note: The free version doesn't provide automatic updates. Periodically, you should open up the program (there is a shortcut on your desktop now) and select the Updates! menu....and select Check for Updates to see if there are any as this infection has serious consequences.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me.

Advertisements

Tobaira

Tobaira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

oops... I ran delfix but then ended up deleting the log file on accident when I was cleaning up the desktop from the old files.  Should I run it again?

I made sure windows was updated, will keep malwarebytes, was going to uninstall java from my browsers but it turned out it wasn't on Chrome or Firefox (I mostly use Firefox) - haven't decided if I just want to remove it from my system.  I may wait a few weeks and if nothing I do is missing it then I will uninstall it. Installed filehippo (have some really outdated apps, will probably just uninstall several of them that I dont think I use). I opted not to install unchecky but I did install cryptoprevent (actually it's finishing it's install now)

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts

It's fine. You don't have to run DelFix again.

I would really recommend installing unchecky but the decision is yours.

If you have no further questions, I'll close this thread.

Stay safe online.