Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Restart

• Please log in to reply

Rhystic

Rhystic

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Whenever I want to or need to restart my computer because a program asks, after my computer displays the "Windows is shutting down....." part and shuts downs, my computer is still running, but will not restart, so I end up having to hold down the button to shut it down and start it up again. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've run into something quite similar on two computers running XP. It has to do with Microsoft Updates. There are two of them which are downloaded together but won't install together, and since the installation is done at shutdown for automatic updates the machine won't shutdown. If this is your situation, just make sure that only one update is being installed at a time. Also disable automatic updates for the time being.

Let us know how it works. :tazz:

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm currently not downloading any updates for my computer, but I learned that this also applies to when I first start the computer, I can hear the computer working, but nothing is actually happening. So yeah, when that happens I turn off my computer again and start it up again until it boots up normally. I also learned that this only happens occasionally, but if I could stop it from happening all together, that would be great, thanks.

Edited by Rhystic, 17 June 2005 - 07:07 PM.