Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Messed up registry fixing aurora/nail [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

T2theGnall87

T2theGnall87

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I followed instructions in a post by greyknight17 at the following link: http://www.geekstogo...are-t27605.html

this was to remove aurora/nail.

the instructions worked successfully, however, when i rebooted my computer back in normal mode, the spyware scanner said that the registry was pointing to nail.exe. it said nail.exe could no longer be found, but that the registry was pointing to it and i might want to fix it. so i opened up regedit, did a search for nail.exe, and i found the key that was calling it on startup. the value of the key said "C:\explorer.exe C:\somethingelse\nail.exe". instead of only deleting the nail part, i foolishly deleted the explorer part as well, leaving the key empty. now when i start my computer, no icons or taskbar shows up on the desktop. i'm assuming it would fix the problem if i just added that information back into the registry, but i don't remember what key it was or how to find it. could you please tell me which key i need to edit, or any other advice taht might be helpful? thank you.

Tom

Advertisements

T2theGnall87

T2theGnall87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I was able to find the information myself. In case anyone else was in a similar situation, here is the key that needed to be edited:

Rootkey : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Object : software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon
Value : Shell
Data : explorer.exe c:\windows\nail.exe