Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything is non responding. Do I have a virus or malware?

Non responding

• Please log in to reply

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I turned on the sick computer and when I got the logon screen, the little symbol on the lower right showed I didn't have a wifi internet connection.  When I clicked on it, it said it could not connect. I thought that maybe I'm still in Diagnostic startup mode.  I also had an alert in hidden icons next to the Avast saying I was unprotected.

When I entered msconfig, the general tab showed that I was in Selective startup with load system services, load startup (both checked) and use original boot config (pre-checked and grayed out.)

I tried to change it to normal startup and restart, but msconfig took me back to where I was with the selective startup.  Should I follow your instructions while in selective start up about hide Microsoft services and unchecking items. Some are checked but stopped. I think it looks the same in Safe mode. I couldn't access the internet in safe mode either.  It said server could not be found.  Do I need to keep the Intel and Toshiba items?  I assume I have to keep things that have to do with my Logitech wireless mouse.  What else has to do with networking? My printer?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You will probably need the Symantec/Norton stuff so I would check that.  You don't need the printer.  The wireless is from Intel so might want to keep anything from intel.

The HD is fine.  There are no errors showing.  Not sure what Speedfan is thinking.  

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

After much fiddling with different msconfig settings and trying to get the sick computer to repair its internet connections, I finally got it to reconnect with the internet. (Initially, network & sharing had a blank page for available networks).

I tried to download aomei (is it the partition assistant the one that I want?) in safe mode twice but each time it said the load driver failed.

I tried in normal mode.  I was able to open the internet and the aomei website but got non-responding when I tried to click on download. After a few minutes letting the blue circle spin, I shut it down.  Maybe I'll try once more in a few hours after it cools down.

If I can't get Aomei to download, should I try to download Clonezilla to my 2nd computer and copy it to a dvd or cd or flash drive?  Does it matter which media I copy it onto?

Thanks. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Since you have a second computer why not download AOMEI on it, put it on a USB drive and move it to the sick PC.  See if you can get it to load.  Otherwise Clonezilla is the way to go.  Doesn't matter which media you use as long as your sick PC can load them and you follow the instructons to make them bootable..  

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

From what I read about Clonezilla, it is awkward to use in Win 10 because it doesn't have a GUI.

Aomei has some instructions on their website re boot CD/DVD, How to created Aomei Partition Assistant bootable CD/DVD.  Kind of poor English translation and I don't know what  PreOS mode is.  Would this be something I could use if I can't get the software to download to my sick computer?

https://www.partitio...d-usb-disk.html

Thanks

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

From what I read about Clonezilla, it is awkward to use in Win 10 because it doesn't have a GUI.

Aomei has some instructions on their website re boot CD/DVD, How to created Aomei Partition Assistant bootable CD/DVD.  Kind of poor English translation and I don't know what  PreOS mode is.  Would this be something I could use if I can't get the software to download to my sick computer?

https://www.partitio...d-usb-disk.html

Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you boot from the CD/DVD or USB drive then you are in a preOS mode.  Pre Operating System as Windows has not loaded.  Should work for you.

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I need some disk creation for Dummies lessons.  Tell me if I'm doing the right thing to try to copy the Aomei program to use on my sick computer. 

I downloaded Aomei Partition Assistant on my 2nd computer. I opened the program and clicked on "make bootable CD wizard" and followed the instructions to burn a CD. When I booted up the sick cd and inserted the CD into the CD drive the first time, it appeared to open Aomei automatically and recognize the old hard disk.  I did not have the adapter with the new drive plugged into the computer yet.  When I plugged in the adapter, the Aomei program did not recognize it.  It just showed the old disk drive. When I tried to restart and do it again, the computer would not open the Aomei program.  I tried going into Explorer and double clicking and no luck.  I did the "make bootable CD wizard" and used a flash drive instead and no luck opening Aomei.  Am I doing something wrong or in the wrong sequence?

In the Aomei tutorials, there is some mention about changing the BIOS boot sequence in some cases.  Do I need to do that? I saw a warning that using an incorrect BIOS setting can cause a system malfunction.  I don't want to mess things up further.

Thanks.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

It sounds like it is trying to boot from the new USB drive first so you need to change the boot Order so that the CD/DVD is the top option.  Changing the boot order is pretty simply and some computers have a special button (Dell = F12) For HP:  See https://support.hp.c...ument/c00364979

For other brands see their support sites.

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I figured out how to get the sick computer to boot from the CD drive with some buttons and I think I set it up properly to clone. After it started, I got a black screen with the title Aomei Partition Assistant PreOS Mode and it showed its progress, slowly over several hours (much longer than the 2 hr 17 that it estimated).  The last I checked it, it showed 85%. 

The next time I checked a few minutes later, the computer is on the log in screen. Is it done cloning or is it still doing something?  Is it supposed to give a message when it is done with the cloning process? Do I need to power down and restart? Should I boot from the CD again and open Aomei and check what shows on the 2 drives?  When it is done cloning, is there a way to change the boot order and test the new drive from the adapter or do I have to take out the old drive and install the new one in the computer?

Thanks

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you go in to Disk Manager from Windows the two drives should now look the same if the cloning worked.

You may be able to change the boot order.  Depends on the motherboard and bios.  Go in to the BIOS and look.

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I went into the Disk Manager with the sick drive in the computer and the new drive in the adapter and they looked the same.  Each segment on each drive was the same size, except there was one additional segment on the new drive. 

So I took out the old drive and inserted the new drive.  Now it won't boot. 

The first time I turned the computer on, the Aomei disc was still in the cd drive and I got a message asking if I wanted to boot from the cd drive.  I took out the Aomei disc and restarted.  I got a black screen with the message "checking media-failed, no bootable device please restart system".

I tried again and got the same message.  I thought maybe the computer was still trying to boot from the cd drive, so I figured how to get into BIOS and checked the settings.  It shows the WD HDD drive first in the boot order and booting from UEFI. 

What can I do now?

Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Where is this extra partition?  At the right end?  Is that just unused drive because the old wasn't as big as the new?  

Boot from the old drive again and go in to disk management.

In the lower pane:

Look at the partition that says C:  It should say it is Healthy ( Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary partition)

This is what my Win 10 shows:

Look at the equivalent partition on the WD drive.  Does it say the same?

Right click on Disk 0 (in the bottom pane)  Does it have Convert to MBR (grayed out)?

Right click on Disk 1 (the WD drive) does it have the same? 

It's possible that booting from a USB drive doesn't work all that well on your PC so you may have to physically swap them.  Or perhaps the cloning didn't work in which case you need to do it again.

pb204

pb204

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I couldn't boot the sick drive from the USB adapter, so I switched them out and put the sick drive back in the computer.  I don't know how to paste the partition info into this message, so I'll give you the info from Disk Management:

Right click on Disk 0 shows Convert to MBR grayed out.

Right click on Disk 1 shows Convert to GPT grayed out.

Both drives are 1TB.  The first block identifying the drives shows:

Disk 0 Basic 931.39 GB online

Disk 1 Basic 931.51 GB online

Next:

1.00 GB Recovery Partition

1.00 GB NTFS Primary Partition (E:)

Next:

260 MB Healthy EFI System Partition

260 MB NTFS Healthy Active Primary Partition (F:)

Next:

(no corresponding partition on sick drive)

128 MB NTFS Healthy Primary Partition (G:)

Next:

917.82 GB NTFS Healthy, Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition (C:)

917.82 GB NTFS Healthy Logical Drive (H:)

Next:

450 MB Healthy Recovery Partition

450 MB NTFS Healthy Logical Drive (I:)

Next:

350 MB Healthy Recovery Partition

350 MB NTFS Healthy Logical Drive (J:)

Next:

11.53 GB Healthy Recovery Partition

11.53 GB NTFS Healthy Logical Drive (K:)

Does all this mean that the Aomei cloning process only set up the partitions and didn't copy over all the files to the WD drive? Did it copy in MBR?  How do I make it copy in GPT or convert to GPT?

If I need to clone again, do I need to do something differently this time?  I used the Aomei Partition Assistant Disk Copy Wizard and just left the selections at the presets to copy the disk quickly. Do I need to reformat the new drive first (if so, how) or will Aomei format it automatically? (Before this computer issue, I've only had experience formatting an SD card in a camera)

Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Right click on Disk 0 shows Convert to MBR grayed out.

Right click on Disk 1 shows Convert to GPT grayed out.

That's your problem.  I assume Disk 0 is the old drive.  The new drive somehow got set up as MBR.

You will need to use diskpart to change it:

See

http://www.disk-part...t-gpt-4125.html

then reclone it.