Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge background data usage unexplained

• Please log in to reply

Chrissy26

Chrissy26

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

I have a situation were huge amounts of data are being used overnight from something running in the background. It uses up around 30GB per month. I can't find what is using this data.  

For example -

21.04.2024  2.10am - 1.6GB

20.04.2024  2.34am -  1.1GB

19.04.2024  3.13am -  1.4GB

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I would try Network Traffic View

https://www.nirsoft....affic_view.html

Start it monitoring when you go to bed and stop it when you get up.  (You don't want the log to get too big).  That should show you what process is overusing your network.

Also most browsers will keep running when closed.  They have an option to turn off this behavior but it's always on by default.  Click on the three bars or dots in the upper right of the browser you use.  Select Settings.  Usually it's under System (Chrome, Brave) or System and Performance (Edge).  Don't see it in Firefox.

Continue running background apps when browser is closed.  

Turn this off.  That will keep any extensions you may have from using the network when the browser is off.

Also in your Browser Settings is an option to manage your search engines.  I always remove any search engines that I don't use.  Some of them will talk to their server to speed up searches.

Also in )Windows) Settings, Updates & Security. Delivery Optimization. Turn off:  Allow downloads from other PCs.

This is Microsoft's way of offloading traffic from their update servers and putting in on your PC.

Search for Task Scheduler and hit Enter.  It should open in Task Scheduler Library.  The pane in the middle shows most non-Microsoft task.  It won't hurt to right click on each and select Disable.  You can turn them back on in a few days if they don't have any effect on your network traffic.

While in Task Scheduler, click on the arrow to the left of Task Scheduler Library and then Click on the arrow in front of Microsoft

Click on the arrow in front of Windows

Click on Application Experience.  In the next pane to the right, right click on each Task and Delete.  Should be three or four (later versions) tasks.

Click on Customer Experience Improvement Program.  In the next pane to the right, right click on each task and Delete.  Should be two tasks.

Close Task Scheduler.

Download OOSU10.exe:

Download and Save it (You will get a popup while it's downloading.  You can X out of it)
then go to the Download folder and Right click on the downloaded file and Run As Admin.
Allow it to make a System Restore Point.
Click on Actions then on Apply Recommended Settings.
Close program and reboot.

Above should cut down on Windows traffic.

Finally if all else fails I would install Tiny Wall:

This is a small firewall that will block all outgoing traffic except what you approve.  It does seem to allow Windows Updates and Chrome, Edge and Firefox automatically but you can block them if you want to rule them out.

xrobwx71

xrobwx71

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Try Wireshark. 

https://www.wireshark.org/

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,107 posts

Chrissy, it would be good to also post what you get when you go to Settings > Network and Internet > Data usage (from the last 30 days for Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections)