Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory question

memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply

xppc

xppc

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

I will be posting in malware forum later today or tomorrow concerning my mother windows machine. she has a vista 32 bit machine that was upgraded to win 7 ultimate 64 bit a little over a year ago. Shes has an HP A6142N amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 4400+ 2.3ghz 2 gb ram. I had originally installed two additional 1gb sticks for a total of 4 but kept getting blue screens and i found 1gb was faulty, so it has only been 3gb until 3 weeks ago. I pulled the newest of the memory sticks and currently is has just the original two 1gb stick that came with the machine. According to HP it is capable of 8gb. She just used this machine for email, some surfing and occasionally Skype with her grandkids and often solitaire. 

Should I upgrade to a full 8gb or just add 2 gb? a local shop said 4 should be plenty and 8 in their opinion would be necessary if there were lots of things open or if it was a gaming pc. I found this online and for 8gb its less expensive that some 2gb sticks. 

https://www.newegg.c...E2614-_-Product

Thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by xppc, 29 March 2017 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Most likely 4Gb is enough, but you really want to check out the prices to see what is cheaper since sometimes less is more expensive, as you found. My machine has 4Gb and it is enough, including using a Virtual machine. While more would be nice, it is not really needed unless you are doing something which makes it needed.

With that said, if it is cheaper, I would go that route.

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Thanks... I will just do the 2 gb upgrade.