Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disc usage at 100%

- - - - -

Best Answer ptorline , 30 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

I was able to solve the issue. The problem was Windows Defender and Norton 360. Uninstalling Norton & turning off Defender fixed the issue.  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ptorline

ptorline

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I am trying to help my parents fix their laptop. Sony VAIO running Windows 10. I originally thought they got a virus or malware so I tried that forum first but I came to find out when looking in the task manager that the disc usage is at 100% always. Never goes down. The computer is running so incredibly slow it is almost worthless.

I've tried searching google for fixes but all of what everyone else said fixed theirs did not do the trick on this laptop. I've disabled windows search and superfetch. This seemed to be the most common fix.

I've tried looking at the resource monitor to see if I notice anyone thing using tons of disc space but I can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

My parents installed the Windows 10 update probably 6 months ago and have claimed it got this bad maybe over the last 2 weeks. They said it has slowly just been getting worse and worse.

Please help me fix this so they don't have to go buy a new laptop!

Thank you so much!!

Advertisements

ptorline

ptorline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't know what the process is using up so much disc space. It is not that clear otherwise I would just end the process.

Someone please help me figure this out

ptorline

ptorline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
✓  Best Answer

I was able to solve the issue. The problem was Windows Defender and Norton 360. Uninstalling Norton & turning off Defender fixed the issue. 

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

ptorline:

I am glad that you solved your problem, but you should have ONE anti-virus program running, or your computer is unprotected.

Turning on Windows Defender will provide protection.  With Norton gone, you should not experience that kind of issue again.  That is a well known symptom of having more than one anti-virus installed in your computer.  Please see this link for more information.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Glad you got it sorted ptorline and thank you for letting us know that the issue was now resolved  :thumbsup:

Please be sure that as suggested by Phil above you ensure that you have at least one AV protecting the computer.