Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidentally changed from UEFI to Legacy. How do I change back?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

paperwhite

paperwhite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
While trying to fix a boot error (0xc0000034) on my laptop I accidentally changed my computer's BIOS from UEFI to Legacy, is there a way to change it back?

The computer is clean so it doesn't matter if it's a method that causes loss of data. I have a bootable USB with windows 10 (maybe 8) on it. At some point I got into the menu for this, but must of the times I just get straight to the BIOS. And when I got to the menu for installing windows, I got the error message "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." so I couldn't get past from there anyway

The computer is an MSI GE70 2QE

I can't find a way here to post photos from my iphone (and can't use the computer), but here is what it says on the startup screen of the BIOS. The only options I have from here is either "Delete RAID volume" or "Reset Disks to Non-RAID" (none of which I know what it means)

Physical devices:
ID. Device model. TYPE/STATUS(Vol Id)
0. PLEXTOR PX-256M6. Member Disk (0)
1. PLEXTOR PX-256M6. Error Occurred (0)
4. HGST HTS721010A9. Non-RAID Disk

I know I [bleep]ed up and should have done more research before tweaking with this, but the damage is done so I greatly appreciate any help

Advertisements