Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard issue

keyboard pavilion

• Please log in to reply

Canary

Canary

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Hi there,

I've got an HP Pavilion laptop, and I'm having problems with the keyboard.

I'm no expert but I think it's a software issue rather than a hardware issue, for the following reasons:

For no apparent reason, certain keys stop working without warning. The "5" "6" and "-" keys are serial offenders, but sometimes it's the whole row of numbers, the arrows, or other blocks of keys.

But the strange thing is that when I open a new program, such as Word, and start typing there, that often gets the keys working again. And when they are not working, it's sometimes only in certain programs. (If it was a hardware issue, surely they wouldn't work at all?)

Sometimes holding a broken key down for 10 seconds fixes the problem, and sometimes it doesn't.

I've also tried uninstalling the keyboard before rebooting and letting the computer reinstall the keyboard automatically. When it reboots, the keyboard works perfectly for a period, and then starts to play up again. (Again, I'm guessing that if this was a hardware issue, the problem would be there all the time rather than sporadically.)

And I've made sure all my drivers are up to date.

Is there anything I can do to address this problem?

(I wasn't sure which forum to post this is, so l opted for the hardware forum.)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Canary, 01 April 2017 - 12:47 PM.

Advertisements

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Hi, and thanks a lot for your reply. Much appreciated.

I have followed your instructions, but to no avail, I'm afraid.

Again, the keyboard worked fine for about five minutes, but then the "5" "6" and "-" keys stopped working again...

Thanks again.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

From System Configuration select Normal Startup.

Boot your computer into Safe Mode and tell us problem resolved.

Also visit your laptop manufacturer website and install all latest device drivers.

I've tried that now, too. Same problem... the issue is slved, but only temporarily.

The drivers are all up to date, too.

In some ways I just wish the whole thing was broken. At least I would know where I stood. ut it's puzzling why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, and in different programs.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Which version of Windows you are using?

Windows 7.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

You can repair install Windows 7 if you like.

Thanks... I'll try that.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

You are very welcome!

Sorry, just one more stupid question...

On that page, it gives different options "depending if your retail Windows 7 installation ISO/DVD/USB has SP1 or not, and if your currently installed Windows 7 has SP1 installed or not".

I think SP stands for service pack, but I'm not really sure what that sentence means, or how to find out which applies to me.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

SP1 stands for "Service Pack 1", if your Windows has already SP1 installed you will have to uninstall SP1 if you don't have Windows 7 Setup Media with SP1 integrated.

That's where I'm struggling... how do I find out if I have Windows Setup Media with SP1 integrated?

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Just try to repair install if you can repair install then you are lucky Windows Setup Media has SP1 integrated.

I struggled to understand the instructions on that one (I'm not advanced when it comes to this sort of thing). I got lost at "extract the Windows 7 SP1 ISO file to a folder on a partition or HDD other than the current Windows 7 partition". (There were only about three words in that sentence that I understood!)

If I follow this link instead, does it amount to the same thing? https://www.lifewire...ndows-7-2626170

Thanks again.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

No don't follow the instructions at the link you provided.

Create yourself a Windows 7 Setup DVD and from booted Windows 7 insert the Windows 7 Setup DVD to start the repair process.

OK, thanks.

I'm still not sure how to create a Windows 7 Setup DVD, but I'll have a go when I'm back home at the weekend.

Until then, thanks again for your help so far.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Thanks for your help with this, but I'm afraid it's beyond me at the moment.

For starters, it won't accept my product key - it says "We've encountered a problem with the key you have provided."

After several days of struggling with this, I've arranged for a call with Microsoft on Wednesday morning.