Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor says Choose an Option - It's Complicated - Please Read!

- - - - -

Best Answer SleepyDude , 11 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Thanks so much for the info on backing up MS Outlook! I copied & pasted into a couple of folders so I'll know where to find the valuable info for future reference! Thanks again! ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

dee71

dee71

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

I'm sending this on husbands laptop.  

My Gateway (prev. Windows 7 until I upgraded to Windows 10 Microsoft free Internet upgrade last year.)  No problems until last Mon. 4/27.

I was on Facebook & I couldn't upload any photos so I just tried typing a note but no letters would appear. After trying couple more unsuccessful post I noticed that all the items on FB wasn't loaded, I signed out & shut down / restart computer. This is when the problems started that I'll list in order as to what happened.

1. It restarted, but then went black, won't restart.

2. I pushed Power button again & nothing. Pushed Power button again & held down briefly, then Gateway came up on monitor with white lettering at the bottom of screen says boot menu etc.just for a second & then next page came up very quickly with some white lettering top of page then black screen.

3. Then 4 square Windows came up middle of screen with a circle of dots underneath that were moving in a circle. Then stopped, leaving blue screen.

4. I pushed / held down Power button again & after Windows & circle of spinning dots went away.

5. Page came up said "Looks like Windows didn't close correctly. Choose either  (A) "Restart My Computer" or  (B) "See Advanced Repair Options". 

1st time I clicked (A) did nothing. Next time I chose (B) & saw options I didn't want to select so I backed out & selected " Exit Continue to Windows 10" & the wonderful music started & my desktop came up & I was up & running! 

6. 4 days later my computer started the same issues again this morning so I logged out of FB, Clicked Restart & got back to the page that says  "Choose an Option".....Continue - Exit and Continue to Windows 10....or Troubleshoot - Reset your PC or see advanced options...or Turn off your PC.  I'm not a techy lady, so I'll appreciate easy to understand instructions if possible . Thought I'd give you smart folks a try before I take in for expensive PC repair. 

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Can you access Windows now?

Before doing anything more make sure you do a backup of your critical files to an external drive or to a cloud storage (Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) just in case the Hard Disk could be damaged!

Try doing the following to collect a log for me

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:

• Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points

Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi Sleepydude, :wave: Just woke up & saw your reply. I had your name on my card file after you helped me 2 yrs. ago.

1. All files were saved to my external drive 4 days ago after I accidentally got computer up & running. 

2. No, can't access Windows now.  Still had options on screen overnight & computer power light was on. Read your reply & I decided to select " Exit Continue to Windows 10" to see if Windows would come up, but No, Windows.  Now I only see solid blue screen so can't go to "MiniToolBox" you referred me to & now front PC power light was on for a few minutes, then went off still solid blue monitor even with PC light off.

3. With a couple of tries, I might be able to get back to the "Choose An Option" on screen that I've previously mentioned, if that would be helpful. Or I also saw "Recovery" as one of the Advanced Options... if that would be helpful or an option to select? 

5. This might be a hopeless fix.  :smashcomp:

Edited by dee71, 03 April 2017 - 07:24 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Hi Sleepydude, :wave: Just woke up & saw your reply. I had your name on my card file after you helped me 2 yrs. ago.

Sorry I'm terrible on names and getting old :blush: I had to use the search feature of the forum...

Welcome again :)

--

Do you see any error on the Blue Screen?

What I would like you to try is to access the same boot menu but instead of "Continue to Windows 10" click Troubleshoot then Advanced Options and finally Command Prompt

On the Command Prompt type:

chkdsk  /R  /X  c:

followed by:

chkdsk  /R  /X  d:

The check can take some time depending of the Hard Disk size.

Please tell me the result of the chkdsk command or post a picture.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I clicked Troubleshoot then Advanced Optionsand finally Command Prompt  (I don't see words Command Prompt) I see info below:

at top says...... Select Administrator:X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe  

then................ Microsoft Windows [Version.10.0.14393]

then................X:\windows\system32>_(curser space blinking. Do I enter chk on this line?  b/c when I went to next line it reprinted the bold system32 so I started over)

also, are there any spaces in the chk  

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I clicked Troubleshoot then Advanced Optionsand finally Command Prompt  (I don't see words Command Prompt) I see info below:

at top says...... Select Administrator:X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe  

then................ Microsoft Windows [Version.10.0.14393]

then................X:\windows\system32>_(curser space blinking. Do I enter chk on this line?  b/c when I went to next line it reprinted the bold system32 so I started over)

also, are there any spaces in the chk  

That is correct, Command Prompt is the name of the back window.

Type the first command just like I did with the spaces, press Enter to execute and then wait until it  returns to the prompt "X:\windows\system32>" again

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Got it!! Now it's been working a while & says "Windows is verifying files & folders. Only 7% completed". Like you said, it will take a while.  I'll be back in couple of hours. Appears this will be a good time for me to go to the store. Then I'll do photo to send to you  chk info. I appreciate your help & patience with this old lady who tries real hard living in this techy world.   :headscratch:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

:thumbsup:

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Chk finally completed. Here's the finished information. Wasn't sure how to attach these, so I copied two photos & pasted below. Large but I couldn't make them smaller, Husbands lap top doesn't have photo editing tool. Ugh oh...I clicked Post & I got the Error message . I'll try to just put the 2 photo address here. Don't know if that will work for you to see 2 screen photos or not. 

https://web.mail.com...d=158169&part=1

https://web.mail.com...d=158170&part=1

An error occurred You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The photos are private if you don't use a sharing service like Dropbox, OneDrive,  etc. upload them to a image share like https://extraimage.net.

Advertisements

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I had them in Google My Drive. Never used it to share before. Had just used it to back up phone/camera photos. Hope you can view now.

#1  pic. link -      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H55HwXA3Vf9bjxrCJMTun_72ik9j4hibNg/view?usp=sharing 

#2   "      "   -      https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Great... just checked these links & these will open for you to view. !!! I never know what to expect when I'm in control of PC!! lol

Edited by dee71, 04 April 2017 - 06:41 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The pictures are fine :) the drive d: is actually your external Western Digital HDD and not your internal Hard Disk drive! (sometimes the recovery environment does that) type dir e:\ do you see the windows, program files, etc. folders listed there?

If the answer to the question above is Yes then run a check on drive e:

chkdsk  /R  /X  e:

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Got it, now it's running chk on e: It's now on stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data.

Says Progress # :...... of  #..... done; Stage: 25%; Total:  8%; ETA: 5:40:21

Appears this will take a good while. :whistling:  When this finishes, I'll send "Share" photo link of e: findings.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Got it, now it's running chk on e: It's now on stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data.

Says Progress # :...... of  #..... done; Stage: 25%; Total:  8%; ETA: 5:40:21

Appears this will take a good while. :whistling:  When this finishes, I'll send "Share" photo link of e: findings.

Ok, good.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Here is the photo results of chk e:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing