Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor says Choose an Option - It's Complicated - Please Read!

- - - - -

Best Answer SleepyDude , 11 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Thanks so much for the info on backing up MS Outlook! I copied & pasted into a couple of folders so I'll know where to find the valuable info for future reference! Thanks again! ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Click Command Prompt and type:

sfc  /scannow

press the Enter key and wait for the process to complete. Post the result.

Advertisements

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I thought it would take a while, but I looked back to check on it & saw "couldn't perform request" .I believe I typed your instructions exactly. Here's photo.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Sorry my mistake, Windows is on Recovery Environment mode not normal mode the command must be different.

First we need to find the drive letter where your Windows resides, on the Command Prompt type the following:

dir c:\windows

dir d:\windows

dir e:\windows

Note: Each line have one command press Enter after typing each one.

Only one of those commands will list several files and folders the others will return "File Not Found". Take note of the drive (c, d or e) containing the windows files and folders. Before it was drive E: but this can change for several motives including if you disconnect the external hard drive (recommended).

On the Command Prompt type:

sfc  /SCANNOW  /OFFBOOTDIR=Y:\  /OFFWINDIR=Y:\windows

Note: Make sure you adjust the command by replacing Y: with the drive letter where Windows is located, example with e:\ and e:\windows.

Let me know if you have any doubts about my instructions.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Good morning, 

Ok,..per instructions, before I started, I disconnected my external hard drive.

I did the first steps with no problem & found that dir c:\ said "File not found",......  dir d:\  said "The system can not find the path specified",.......even though my external hard drive was d/c, the dir e:\ was the one that showed a long list of files. 

For 2nd step at end of the long list of files in  dir e:\  , I now see    X: \windows\system32>   -  Am I suppose to put the Y in here? 

I'm not sure if I'm suppose to do the second step (shown below) all on same line or separate lines and I don't understand the Y: info in the Note:

On the Command Prompt type:

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=Y:\ /OFFWINDIR=Y:\windows

Note: Make sure you adjust the command by replacing Y: with the drive letter where Windows is located, example with e:\ and e:\windows.

Let me know if you have any doubts about my instructions.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Good morning for you its afternoon for me :)

Y: isn't the correct path/drive it must be adjusted so in your case type:

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=e:\ /OFFWINDIR=e:\windows

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Ok, here ya go. ....

This scan said: "Beginning system scan, this process will take some time." 

"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

"X: \windows\system32> 

I didn't send a photo of dir e:\   long list of files that had come up in step one. Let me know if you need photos of that list.  

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Ok, here ya go. ....

This scan said: "Beginning system scan, this process will take some time." 

"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

"X: \windows\system32> 

I didn't send a photo of dir e:\   long list of files that had come up in step one. Let me know if you need photos of that list.  

Ok good. No I don't need the photo thanks.

Not sure you can go back to the Advanced Options by typing exit if not restart the computer but this time choose Advanced Options and then the option Startup Repair

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I restarted computer, found & selected Startup Repair. Now it says "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC".  Tells me: Press "Advanced Options to try other options to repair your PC"  or  "Shut down to turn off your PC".  

Log file:  D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\SrtTrail.txt         and there are 2 boxes with choices of  Shut down    or    Advanced options.   Which do I select?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Go to Advanced Options if the options presented next are the ones on this image:

image151.png

click Command Prompt try the open the log by typing:

notepad D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\SrtTrail.txt

if Notepad asks if you want to create a new file StrTrail.txt click Cancel and try to open the log from the e: drive instead by typing:

notepad e:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\SrtTrail.txt

If you successfully open the log please look for any error message and error code, post that or a photo showing the error.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Yes, my box of choices looked like the blue one you posted.

1st. one:notepad  D :  Ask me to set up account so I clicked "Cancel".    2nd one  notepad e:  A box came up that said: "Notepad (yellow triangle w/!) The system can not find the path specified."  I clicked Box - OK  

Forgot to mention the only things I saw was what I typed above. No other error codes.

Edited by dee71, 08 April 2017 - 03:44 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Stupid Windows 10 "setup account"!!!

Please go back to Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> 9) Disable automatic restart after failure

Let me know if after this the system boot to a blue screen with some error or not.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Ok.... I'm on the blue Startup Settings page with the list 1) thru 9) . I see 9) Disable automatic restart after failure . I see I'm to press F-9 but no where to enter the F-9.  I went ahead & pushed F9 but nothing happened. At bottom of this page I see "Press F10 for more options" and "Press Enter to return to your operating system".... ??? 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

It should work by pressing the 9 key or the F9 Key.

I don't have access to a Windows 10 machine right now, after selecting this option I'm not sure if the system continues to boot automatically or not.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi, just woke 7:20 a.m., got my coffee & read your note.....I pushed the F9 key again & it worked this time. The screen changed to the 4 windows with the spinning circles ubderneath that was there a minute or less, then screen went blank. It's more blue than black & the computer power light is still on but nothing showing on monitor. 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

At this point and without access to logs that could eventually help to locate the problem I think the best option is to access the Advanced Options screen and from there the System Restore option see if you can Restore to a restore point created on a date before the problem start.

I suppose you don't have the Windows 10 install DVD?