Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 10 upgrade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

jokernrose

jokernrose

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 a few months back maybe a year I'm not 100% positive. But anyway it has depleted half my hard drive and there is no file to revert back. please help me it has made my computer so slow its driving me insane

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

It's to late to revert back.

What's taking up all the space ?

Download this program to help you find out

http://filehippo.com...oad_windirstat/

jokernrose

jokernrose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was afraid of that I guess I will just have to deal with it. I did download and run the program you suggested and from what I can tell the WinSxS folder is the one taking up most of the space. I was also curious why I have 2 program file folders. One is just named program files and the other one is program files(x86).

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

curious why I have 2 program file folders. One is just named program files and the other one is program files(x86).

If you're running a 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows, you will notice that there are two separate folders where your Program Files are kept: Program Files, which contains 64-bit programs and applications, and. Program Files (x86), which contains 32-bit programs and applications.

When time permits

First do this
Please download Listparts
https://www.bleeping...istparts/dl/78/
Do a scan
Post the text file called Result before you do a disc clean up as instructed below.

Next
Run disc clean up win 10
See link below
https://support.micr...p-in-windows-10
Remember to clean up system files

jokernrose

jokernrose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Sorry for the delay in the reply I had some things come up so I wasn't able to scan till now. And also thank you for the explanation of the program file folders. I did do the scan you said here are the results from that.

Attached Files

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:73.99 GB) (Free:41.94 GB) NTFS

The drive doesn't look too bad, and you're well within range of what free space should be. Free space should be 15 to 20 percent of the total capacity of the drive for windows to work efficiently. As this drive appears now there should be no reason that it would cause any slow down issue.

I'm not sure how much space you had before so please do the disc clean up and clean up system files too, you will see that option. After you have done that run the scan again and post the result.txt log