Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with wifi/network card after clean installation

• Please log in to reply

paperwhite

paperwhite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently had a problem with a failing SSD drive. After replacing the drive and doing a clean installation of Windows 8.1, the computer works fine. Except, I seem to have problems with my network card. There's no wifi connectivity, and the network card does not even show up in Device Manager. (See Screenshot) . I have never had problems with this before, so it's clearly related to either the new hard drive or the clean installation of windows.

My laptop is an MSI GS70 2QE, the wireless card is a Killer Wireless -m/a/ac 1525, see more detailed System info here

The wifi did work twice even after the clean installation ,see screenshot here showing device manager at a time when it worked. First, it started to work after updating the chipset drivers I think, the second time it was hard to localise why it started working since I tried so many different things before reboot. The thing is, both of these times, the wifi was working without any problems whatsoever for a long time, but as soon as I put my computer to sleep the network card was disabled again.

What I've tried so far:

- Reinstalling the drivers, but unsurprisingly that didn't help since it doesn't even recognize the laptop card. I also performed a driver scan with DriverTalent and Intel utility and updated the missing ones, 

- Since I recently opened up the case to insert the new SSD, I might have acidentally done something with the network card as well. However, the SSD-installing was so fast and easy, so I doubt it, and when I opened up my computer to check, the network card seems to be stable and fastened with a screw  (see picture).

- As far as I know, my laptop does not have a hotkey for switching on/off wi-fi(see keyboard layout), but I've tried Fn+F8 since I know other MSi-models have that hotkey. 

I really don't know what to do at this point, so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it a lot.

I recently had a problem with a failing SSD drive. After replacing the drive and doing a clean installation of Windows 8.1, the computer works fine. Except, I seem to have problems with my network card. There's no wifi connectivity, and the network card does not even show up in Device Manager. (See Screenshot) . I have never had problems with this before, so it's clearly related to either the new hard drive or the clean installation of windows.

My laptop is an MSI GS70 2QE, the wireless card is a Killer Wireless -m/a/ac 1525, see more detailed System info here

The wifi did work twice even after the clean installation ,see screenshot here showing device manager at a time when it worked. First, it started to work after updating the chipset drivers I think, the second time it was hard to localise why it started working since I tried so many different things before reboot. The thing is, both of these times, the wifi was working without any problems whatsoever for a long time, but as soon as I put my computer to sleep the network card was disabled again.

What I've tried so far:

- Reinstalling the drivers, but unsurprisingly that didn't help since it doesn't even recognize the laptop card. I also performed a driver scan with DriverTalent and Intel utility and updated the missing ones, 

- Since I recently opened up the case to insert the new SSD, I might have acidentally done something with the network card as well. However, the SSD-installing was so fast and easy, so I doubt it, and when I opened up my computer to check, the network card seems to be stable and fastened with a screw  (see picture).

- As far as I know, my laptop does not have a hotkey for switching on/off wi-fi(see keyboard layout), but I've tried Fn+F8 since I know other MSi-models have that hotkey. 

I really don't know what to do at this point, so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it a lot.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You have two function keys that might have an effect on the wireless:

Fn + F10 toggles Airplane Mode Off and On.  (There should be a light on the edge

Fn + F5 is some mysterious undefined ECO power saving.  No telling what it does.

Windows also has a separate Airplane mode and Wireless On-Off switch:  See Page 3-14 of the English manual for your laptop:

https://www.msi.com/...tml#down-manual

Your screenshots don't work on the forum so I can't see what you are seeing.  Search for

device manager

and hit Enter to bring up the device manager.  View, Show Hidden Devices.

Now look for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on one and select properties then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.  Repeat for all yellow flagged devices.  If there are no yellow flagged devices you might look in the BIOS setup to see if there is something there that can disable the wireless.  If you ever do get it back, go into Device Manager, right click on the wireless driver and select Properties then Power Management and uncheck the box that allows it to turn it off to save power.

MSI's site does not seem to have a driver download for your wireless.  There is one for Killer bluetooth.  I suppose it might include your wireless.  

You might find a driver here:  https://www.atheros-...ss-drivers.html

but you will need the AR number.