Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Web Site Problems

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Hello there!

I have been experiencing some problems with a website I own and wonder if anyone can help.

Some background first..... I have been attempting to learn Greek for some years now. I had already taught myself a little bit of simple HTML and managed to find out how to master Greek HTML as well - and so created a Greek Verbs website (I called it 'A Meze of Greek Verbs! :lol:). It was just an experiment at first, but has gradually grown bigger and has been online for some years now.

The website was hosted by Webring.com since its creation. Back in 2010, I paid a very small amount to them to use a shortened url, but other than that it was free. Recently though, I discovered that this shortened url was no longer working, although I found that the original longer url was still okay. Unfortunately though, I also learned that I could no longer access any of my website files to edit them. It looks as if Webring is no more - and it was obviously time to find another web host! :(

In trying to do this, I was restricted because my verb files (all 266 of them) are HTML files and I have to be able to upload them and link to them. The only other web host I have experience of is Yola which I used for another site I was responsible for, but you can only upload HTML files if you buy their Silver package which costs around £70 a year (I am in the UK). I was unsure about this, as the site is just a hobby for me and doesn't make any money. I didn't mind paying something, but £70 seemed quite a lot!

Anyway, I eventually settled on 000webhost (Hostinger) which is free (although there is a paid version too) and they do allow HTML files to be uploaded, so I opted for that.  I made a new Home Page using their Webuilder and uploaded (and linked to) all my HTML files okay. I also bought a .com domain name from them. So, my site is back online again! :thumbsup:

The problem is though that I cannot access my files in Webring to add a link to the new site - so apart from those whose email addresses I have got, none of my other users will now be able to access my site. Luckily, I also opened a Facebook page for the site a few months ago and anybody searching for the site on Google can find that, so that is one way that they might be able to find the new address.

What I wanted to know though is whether there is a reliable way of searching for any online links to my Webring site? I think it might have been linked to on a couple of sites - possibly including a French site (?) as I had a few French visitors who as far as I could work out seemed to be genuine users, although I have no idea how they found my site!. Also, please can you give me any tips on promoting the new site? I know very little about this area, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,008 posts
  • MVP

Try:

http://smallseotools...cklink-checker/

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Okay thanks, I'll take a look.

dynastyteam

dynastyteam

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks both of you,because today i have the same issue and i am gonna discuss it here but you......thanks again.