Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon on an existing socket

Laptop Gpu Radeon

• Please log in to reply

Farie977

Farie977

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Vaio E-series laptop that has a solder-type GPU socket onboard. I was wondering if it's possible to install a Radeon mobility chip into the board (since that's what the higher version of the same lineup comes with).

Is this possible to do? I have the tools for BGA soldering, but wanted to know what do you guys think.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Farie977,

From your previous thread here

I have a VAIO E Series (SVE14122CVB)

Only high end gaming notebooks tend to be capable of having the IGPU removed/replaced etc and based on the info that I can find on your computer it suggests that your computer only shipped with the integrated HD 4000 and there was no option to have a discreet AMD or Nvidea chip instead.

Notebook specs here say Intel HD 4000 graphics option only.

Sony drivers homepage here only lists AMD and Intel graphics drivers with the listed AMD Graphics Driver: A2DVID-00274254-0082.EXE being a hybrid looking at the Sony and DriverZone info here and here

Being that there are no third party graphic device drivers available it may suggest that your MB is not capable of accomodating an IGPU and possibly because it does not have an IGPU socket. 

As an asides Farie977, I note that you were advised of the following by a Sony agent here when you asked about upgrading the CPU;

Welcome to Sony Community!

We don't recommend upgrade on any VAIO laptops because they're integrated with each other; we can't guarantee the outcome after the upgrade. In addition, replacing any parts might do more damage to the laptop. 

The same would apply for a video chip (if there was one) apart from the delicate soldering work involved you would also need a BIOS modification which would need to be done first.

Seeking a second opinion is fine but being honest I would heed the advice of the Sony mod before potentially dismantling the notebook to see if there is an IGPU socket  :yes: