Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Gigs

• Please log in to reply

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK so I'm a little lost on this one. I have 2003 server running the enterprise version. There are 4 drives. The OS is a 80, 2 160gig dumps, and 1 250 gig drive for FTP work (servers main use). Can anyone explain to me while it seems to louse gigs the bigger the drives get. For example the 80 gig drive shows its size at 76.32gigs the 160 gig drives show 149.05 and the 250 gig drive is showing a max size of 232.76gigs :tazz: all in all its almost 50 gigs I would not mind having... Anyway can someone explain the reason for this... or perhaps a way to see the extra gigs?

Edited by ryanmills, 17 June 2005 - 03:41 PM.

Advertisements

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
this is how hard drives work:

the size of the hdd is 250 GB but to make 1 GB Windows takes up 1024 instead of 1000...
soooo 250,000/1024=244.14

thats how it works, but that does seem a bit much 50 GB, you sure you dont have any partions taking up space?

ryanmills

ryanmills

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

this is how hard drives work:

the size of the hdd is 250 GB but to make 1 GB Windows takes up 1024 instead of 1000...
soooo 250,000/1024=244.14

thats how it works, but that does seem a bit much 50 GB, you sure you dont have any partions taking up space?

View Post

Well I mean 50 acrossed 4 drives... well closer to 45...

Maybe I am miss reading what you posted. But I understand that a gig is 1024 megs.. Is that what you meant or are you referring to the indexing? Still seems a bit large for a index file...

-Ryan

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
so you have:
1x80gb
2x160gb
and a 250gb

il do the math....
ok well i though bout it and its a bit off, but the people who make these hard drives do not always make them full so you will not always get the full ammount, i have a 40GB drive on this laptop so i should have about 38-39GB, but infact the real size is 33.6 GB, so your not alone you will have some hard drives which are less than expected.

hope that helps

ryanmills

ryanmills

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I figured as much... just thought the big drive was lossing a bit to much thats all. It's Bill Gates fault, I would swear he had somthing to do with it... :tazz:

-Ryan