Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps rebooting and fails to load Windows 10.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Recently, I've had this problem of Windows 10 "not loading properly" when first switched on. It'll ask me for options of diagnosing PC (which I've tried and it took 5hrs+ with no end result) and other options. There's an option to restart my PC and it loads Windows.

Not sure if this helps at all but sometimes when I launch a game, the screen it loads onto goes black and I cant recover it, I have to force a restart which leads me back to the above problem again.

I've saved everything I need on a backup hard drive so I'm ready to do anything.

Please help.

Edited by agent_numpty, 15 April 2017 - 10:36 AM.

Advertisements

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

agent_numpty:

I would recommend that you run an SFC scan to assess the integrity of your Windows 10 installation.

• Click on the "Start" button.
  • In the "search" box at the bottom, type cmd.
  • Look for Cmd.exe to appear at the top of the menu.
  • Right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Type sfc /scannow. Ensure that there is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow"
  • The scan will start and may take from 20 minutes to an hour to run.
  • Please report the results from the System File Checker in your next post. Does it report "No Resource Integrity Violations Found", "Errors Repaired", or "Unable to Repair", or words to that effect?

If SFC reports uncorrectable errors, please immediately navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS, locate the file "CBS.log", and copy, not move it, to your Desktop. That file is "volatile", so we need to ensure that it is not overwritten with new results.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

SFC scan finished and found no errors.

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

agent_numpty:

Thank you for your post.  I would like you to run a few more scans to eliminate a possible disk issue and to further examine the integrity of your OS files.

1.  We need to check your hard disk for errors.

To determine if your C: drive is an SSD or conventional hard drive for Windows 8/8.1. or 10, please press the Windows logo key and search for "optimize" in the Windows Start menu. Select: Defragment and optimize your drives. See this link for more information.
For Windows 7 and earlier, please the Windows logo key + R together, then type control and press the <Enter> key. Click on "System and Security" and then click on "Device Manager". Next, click on "Disk Drives" to open up a list of disk drives on your computer. If it is an SSD drive, it should say so in the description; but if you are not sure, "Google" the model number of the drive that you want to run chkdsk on.

It is important not to run chkdsk /r on an SSD as it will lead to excessive wear and shorten the life of an SSD. For SSD drives, use the chkdsk /f command.

• Please open an Elevated Command Prompt. To do this:
    • Press the Windows "Start" button.
    • Type "cmd.exe" into the "Search" box.
    • At the top of the list that generates, you should see "cmd.exe".
    • Right click "cmd.exe" and select "Run as Administrator".
  • Type the following command exactly: chkdsk /r unless you have an SSD hard drive, in which case, type chkdsk /f.
  • Please note that there is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r" or "/f".
  • You will get a message that the volume is locked and do you want to reboot.
  • Click on "Yes" to permit the computer to reboot.
  • When the computer reboots, do not press any keys. Let the chkdsk run, which will take several hours.
  • The computer will reboot automatically when the "chkdsk" has finished.

Please follow the instructions here to find the results of the "chkdsk" scan.

Please copy and paste those results into your next reply.

You should run this command when you will not need your computer. The chkdsk scan can take five to ten hours, or more, depending on whether the hard drive is SSD or conventional, and the size and amount of data on the drive, and whether CHKDSK has to attempt repairs.

2. Please run the DISM command shown below from an elevated (Administrative) command prompt. This works for both Windows 8 and 10 computers.

DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

More information about DISM may be found here.
Please let me know the results of running DISM.

Regards,
-Phil

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Results of the CHKDSK:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is SSD.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  399104 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.
  11956 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                      
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  487102 index entries processed.                                                        Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                     
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 1084 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1084 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1084 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  44000 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  38421608 USN bytes processed.                                                            Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

468336639 KB total disk space.
 366852340 KB in 282682 files.
    170060 KB in 44001 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    521951 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 100792288 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 117084159 total allocation units on disk.
  25198072 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 17 06 00 b1 fb 04 00 ff 83 09 00 00 00 00 00  ................
6d 01 00 00 4e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  m...N...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Results of DSIM:
C:\Windows\system32>DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

Edited by agent_numpty, 16 April 2017 - 11:46 AM.

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

agent_numpty:

Thank you for the chkdsk and DISM logs.  Your Windows installation appears to be fine, and whatever is causing your boot issues is not disk/file corruption.

Recently, I've had this problem of Windows 10 "not loading properly" when first switched on. It'll ask me for options of diagnosing PC (which I've tried and it took 5hrs+ with no end result) and other options. There's an option to restart my PC and it loads Windows.
Not sure if this helps at all but sometimes when I launch a game, the screen it loads onto goes black and I cant recover it, I have to force a restart which leads me back to the above problem again.

The obvious suspect would be that game, now that we have established that your Windows itself is fine; or, some other program interfering with the game and with Windows; for example, having two or more anti-virus applications running, corrupt registry entries, etc.  There are numerous possibilities.  Is the game Window 10 compatible?

A forced restart will usually put Windows 10 into a diagnostic bootup.  When you bootup and then do a restart without playing that game or doing a forced restart, does the computer boot normally?  I am guessing that it will from you said.

If it is the game, I would be doing web searches for the name of the game and this issue, to see if others are reporting it.  It could be as simple as just updating your graphics driver.  There is obviously an issue with the game and your computer configuration.

sometimes when I launch a game, the screen it loads onto goes black and I cant recover it, I have to force a restart

If you are not able to find something on your own, then please provide details of the game and produce a Speccy snapshot of your computer.

Please download the free version of the Piriform Speccy program by clicking on this link.

• Navigate to your Downloads folder and install Speccy.
  • Next, launch Speccy and wait for it to populate with your computer system information.
  • Once it has completed its scan, please go to the "File" menu, at the top left, and select "Publish Snapshot...".
  • When the publishing has completed, you will be provided with a unique URL; please select the option "Copy to Clipboard".
  • Exit Speccy.
  • Open Notepad and use Ctrl-V to paste the Speccy URL into a .txt file, with a name of your choosing, in case it is needed again.

Please paste the Speccy URL into your next reply so that I can view the details of your computer system. No personal information is included.

Regards,
-Phil

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ever since I started doing all the checks on the hard drive, I haven't had any problems with it starting up. If the problem does return though, I'll be sure to come back to this thread with an update. I may report back by next weekend either with a success and no faults reported, or continuing finding the problem.

For now, thank-you very much for your help.

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

agent_numpty:

Thank you for your update.  I am happy to hear that your computer is now booting properly.  Sometimes just running those scans "fixes" issues that are not reported by the scans themselves.

You are most welcome for my assistance.  Thank you for choosing Geeks to Go to assist you with your computer issues.

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Unfortunately, the problem came back. But this time with a vengeance. Once I'd shut my PC down and launched it back up, it was stuck in a repeated cycle of the BIOS screen then the 4 blue windows.

I already had a Windows Image File of Windows 10 prepared so I just skipped it all and just formatted the hard drive with a fresh install. Haven't had a problem since.

Many thanks for your help though. Much appreciated.

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

agent_numpty:

Sorry to hear that the problem returned.  Hopefully, the fresh install has resolved your issues, permanently!

Thank you for updating us and for choosing Geeks to Go to assist you with your computer issues.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil