Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winword.exe application error

Best Answer sally4 , 22 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

After between 4 and 5 hours in two sessions with the Microsoft Answer Desk, I think this problem is solved. The second tech support person also removed and reinstalled Office, plus played with an a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

sally4

sally4

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

I have Windows 10 and Office 2013. Word can't open a document list. I can create new documents but Word crashes when I try to save the document to a folder. I can open existing Word documents from "My Documents" , make changes and save them, but Word crashes when I try to "save as". The error message is Winword.exe Application Error: The exception unknown software exception (0xe0000002) occurred in the application at location 0x00000000756FB782.  

Edited by sally4, 18 April 2017 - 11:15 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Hi there,

Maybe a stupid question. But have you tried uninstalling Office, then rebooting and then re-installing the package?

Generally that gets rid of most of these kinds of problems.

If it doesn't, we'll have to dig a little deeper.

Regards,

Olrik

sally4

sally4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Thank you for replying. I spent an extended period of time on the phone with Microsoft Answer Desk yesterday to no avail. Office 2013 was uninstalled and reinstalled several times. A higher level tech person is supposed to call me Friday. The problem also includes Power Point. I didn't try Excel. The problem is that, when saving, no list of folders appears, then the program crashes.  I suspect the problem is related to the Windows 10 Creators Update that installed itself last Saturday. 

I suggest waiting to see if Microsoft solves the problem. I'll report back on the results. 

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Hi there,

Sure thing. Keep me posted.

Regards,

Olrik

sally4

sally4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
✓  Best Answer

After between 4 and 5 hours in two sessions with the Microsoft Answer Desk, I think this problem is solved. The second tech support person also removed and reinstalled Office, plus played with an amazing array of other stuff. Eventually she reinstalled Windows 10 as well as Office, and played with a lot more settings. As far as I can tell, the problem was with the Windows 10 update that installed itself on April 15. I was hoping there would be a history somewhere of all the things that were added and removed, but the Update History just tells me that the Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 (for x64-based Systems) was successfully installed on 4/22/2017. Even this is odd - because Windows was reinstalled yesterday, 4/21. Perhaps it has been updated already? Anyway, so far, so good. Fingers crossed. 

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Good to hear you got it resolved.

Regards,

Olrik

extrachristy

extrachristy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Greetings. I also had

The exception unknown software exception (0xe0000002)

every time I tried to save a file or browse files in Word and Excel 2016 on Windows 10 Creators Edition

I found a reference to Malwarebytes Pro being the cause at Windows TenForums https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/86292-word-2016-crashes-save-save.html 

Also found at Windowssecrets.com http://windowssecret...n-saving-a-file

Even though my Malwarebytes Pro showed as the current version, I downloaded and installed the 3.1.1 beta from https://forums.malwa...e-for-download/ , restarted and the problem went away. Yay! WordPad wasn't quite doing it for me.

Edited by extrachristy, 16 June 2017 - 08:51 AM.