Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

static ip address

home security system

• Please log in to reply

kimberly10716

kimberly10716

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Can I set up virtual private network in order to get a static ip address to use for my home security camera system? Is this possible and would it allow me to access home security system over the internet? After researching this, I found that I would have to purchase a block of ip addresses, which I do not need, and can't afford,  I was trying to think of another alternative. Thanks for any info or suggestions... also the system is wired. (don't know if this matters).                        Kimberly

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Following method does not require a static address or messing with the router and any firewalls you may have.  See if it will work for your purposes.

Assume you have a PC connected to the Internet that can talk to the home security system.  Put TeamViewer

https://www.teamview...wnload/windows/

on the PC at home.  Set it up by following

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-TeamViewer

but instead of selecting the Basic Installation use the second option Installation to access this PC remotely (Unattended)

It will have you set a password for remote access.  Use a good one and make sure you remember it.  Also write down the number it gives you have Your ID:

Make sure the PC does not shutdown/hibernate/sleep.  (Control Panel, Power Options, High Performance)  It's OK for the display to shutdown.

Now put TeamViewer on another PC.

I think this will also work on Android or iPhone (should be able to get it through the usual App store routine) but I have never tried it.  You can also download TeamViewer Portable (from the main download page) and put it on a USB drive so you can plug it into any PC. 

Run TeamViewer on your remote PC or whatever and put in the number (Your ID:) that you saved in the initial installation and the password.  It will show your the desktop of the PC you are trying to reach and then you can do the same things you would do if standing in front of it.

kimberly10716

kimberly10716

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Oh Thank You...Will try this...Thanks Again