Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with download/installing

windows 8.1 temp folder download install error help

• Please log in to reply

gugagarcia

gugagarcia

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Good afternoon, i'm having some issues with my computers for a couple of weeks. I can't download anything (i get instant download error, and yes i've tried to download different files) and when i try to run an installer i get some errors like "error writing temporary file. make sure your temp folder is valid". I don't know much about computers but for what i read on internet maybe it's some problem with my temp folder/files? 

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

How much free space do you have on the drive?  Could it be full?

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
Select PC and devices, and then select Disk space.
Under Free up space on this PC, note the amount of free space and total size.

We normally want more than 10% of free space or things start getting slow.

Then Check the temp folders:

First look and see what folders might be involved with TEMP or TMP.  If you open Control Panel,

https://www.cnet.com...l-in-windows-8/

(View By: Large Icons), System, Advanced System Settings, Environmental Variables you will see that there are usually 4 settings that really only point to two folders:

[attachment=84768:temp.JPG]

By default these are:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

c:\windows\TEMP

Is that what you see?

Open a Command Prompt (not an elevated or admin )

https://www.lifewire...-prompt-2618089

type:

cd  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

hit Enter.  Prompt should change to C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp>

mkdir  junk

hit Enter.  Prompt should return without an error.  This just creates a folder in the Temp folder.

Remove the folder:

rmdir  junk

hit Enter.  Prompt should return without an error. 

Repeat but use

cd  c:\windows\TEMP

Prompt should change to c:\windows\TEMP

mkdir  junk
hit Enter.  Prompt should return without an error.  This just creates a folder in the Temp folder.

Remove the folder:

rmdir  junk
hit Enter.  Prompt should return without an error. 

If Environmental Variables look right and you are able to mkdir in both temp folders without an error then we have to look elsewhere for your problem.  Come back and we will try something else.

gugagarcia

gugagarcia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

First of all thanks for your help

I have 145GB free and a total space of 278 GB.

On the environmental variables i can see the same thing that you show on the print screen.

On both steps of the command prompt (mkdir junk) i get a message saying that the file is damaged and unreadable (or something like that, i have my computer on portuguese).

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like either hard drive or memory problems.  See if you can run a disk check:  

chkdsk C: /f /r /x

per

https://www.tekrevue...dsk-windows-10/

Above is for Win 10 but the only difference may be in how to open an elevated command prompt:

It should take several hours to complete after you reboot.

Test your memory:

http://support.rm.co...cref=TEC3222505

IF both complete then:

Open an elevated command prompt:

If you open an elevated command prompt it will by default open in c:\Windows\system32

Once you have an elevated command prompt:

Type(with an Enter after each line):

DISM  /Online  /Cleanup-Image  /RestoreHealth

(I use two spaces so you can be sure to see where one space goes.)
This will take a while to complete.  Once the prompt returns:

Reboot.  Open an elevated Command Prompt again and type (with an Enter after the line):

sfc  /scannow

This will also take a few minutes.  

When it finishes it will say one of the following:

Windows did not find any integrity violations (a good thing)
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them (a good thing)
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them (not a good thing)

Which does it say?

Now type:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  \junk.txt 
Hit Enter.  Then type::

notepad  \junk.txt 

Hit Enter. 

Copy the text from notepad and paste it into a reply.

See if you can download now:

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

gugagarcia

gugagarcia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

One more time thank you for your time and help!

I made the memory and the disk check and after some hours it was completed and now everything seems normal again, i can download things and install them, also i can save things to my computer again.

Since i don't understand a lot i don't know if i still need to do the other steps that you told me in the last post?

Thanks!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

The dism & sfc commands will check that no Windows files were damaged by what was probably a hard drive sector failing.   Up to you if you want to run them.  I would.

Since the disk check fixed it we should look at the condition of your hard drive to see if is failing.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), 
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.