Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo mail error message

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Would someone please help me understand this message I keep getting from Yahoo re my mail account?.

Your account is currently not enabled to sign in from apps, that do not meet modern security standards (ex. Older versions of mail and calendar apps such as Outlook). As a result, we prevented a sign in to your Yahoo account.

In fact, to my knowledge I have just one yahoo.com mail account (say [email protected]). I access it by going to yahoo.com\mail .... and it seems to be working fine.

What is Yahoo referring to when it talks of "not enabled to sign in from apps"? Please give me an example of an app that is enabled to sign in to a Yahoo account?

Thanks. .... batpark

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

https://help.yahoo.c...mpressions=true

Do you have a smart phone or tablet?  It may be trying to check email for you.

https://forums.yahoo...nted/td-p/73746

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Rkinner: Thanks much. The links you sent describe exactly the error messages I am getting. And I do access my yahoo mail account from an iPad and a smart phone as well as from  my W10 desktop; and they both seem to be working fine too. How\why would that trigger these error messages?

Is there a way I can determine the names of these offending apps that may be trying to access my yahoo mail account?   batpark

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

From what I read in the link i gave you they have decided to get really picky about security so it may be that only the yahoo mail app or logging in to yahoo with your browser are the only "authorized" methods.  If your iPad and Smart Phone are using their own email clients that may be the problem.  Expect they really just are trying to get you to switch to using the yahoo app.  I expect the reason is that if you use something else to get the mail then you don't see their ads.  I use gmail myself and run adblock plus or Ublock Origin on the browser I use to read my mail.  I gave up on yahoo years ago as they kept getting hacked.  

Not sure how to check for the culprit if yahoo doesn't tell you.  If you get the notice fairly quickly after the attempt then you could have your iPad or Smart Phone check the mail and then see if you get a notice.  Or turn off the mail clients on your iPad and Smart Phone for a day or two and see if the notices stop.  It could also be that the notices are caused by some hacker's bot trying to get on your account in which case they will probably go on forever.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

RKinner: 

Inasmuch as I am having other troubles with the same Yahoo mail account on an LG smartphone (with Android), I suspect the android account may be causing this problem too, as you suggest. I am working to fix the android problem.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.  ... batpark