Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to get a better NAT type with my setup?

Best Answer Rickie , 02 May 2017 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for your help, everyone. On further investigation, I found out that Belkin is just a shoddy brand for this sort of thing. I'd actually forgotten, but I used to have this exact problem with... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I didn't realise it was a problem until the recent Testfire demo of Splatoon 2 on Nintendo Switch. I simply could not connect to the servers unless I tethered my phone. It would just complain about my NAT, otherwise. Hadn't realised it earlier, as updates/the store and everything else work just fine. Just not..online multiplayer. Which is not very good.

Same results whether via wifi or ethernet. I shall describe my setup below, perhaps there's something else I could try or can be steered in the right direction of yet another thing to buy to make it all work!

[Internet]

|

|

[Belkin N300 Wireless N Router - In the main house]

|

[50M cat5 cable - outside to my office separate from the house]

|

[tenda 11N Wireless Router]

From there, it's connected via ethernet/wifi to everything in here. I've tried putting a static IP on the Switch, then adding that to the DMZ on the tenda router it's connected to. Made no difference. I always get NAT type C or D. I need at least a B, apparently.

I've also tried putting what I assume is the tenda router's IP address in the Belkin's DMZ.

Whatever the case, no matter what I fiddle with, I can't seem to fix my NAT type. Please help~

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Hi there,

This might be a weird question, but what port did you use to connect the Tenda router?

Regards,

Olrik

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Hi there,

This might be a weird question, but what port did you use to connect the Tenda router?

Regards,

Olrik

It's only weird in that I'm not sure what you're referring to! 

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Can you perhaps take a picture of the connections on the Tenda router?  :happy:

Regards,

Olrik

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Ah, now I getcha. The router itself is connected via the only port that accepts it; WLAN or whatever, and the two current physical connections I have are 1 for PC and 2 for misc. Currently PS4, but also for Switch, PS3 or whatever. Photos below.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I see that the black ethernet cable goes into the blue jack labeled "WAN".

Try plugging that cable into one of the yellow jacks, instead.

Then reboot all devices in the network to let everything build up properly and try to hook up the switch again.

Lemme know how it goes.

Regards,

Olrik

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

If I plug that cord in anywhere but WAN, it won't get a connection.

The yellow ports are just for sharing the connection, the blue one is for getting it.

Still, I tried it just in case and yeah, just got rid of the connection entirely.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

That's not usually how these routers are used though.

The "WAN" port is used for setting up another network. So you're basically running a network inside a network, if that makes any sense at all.

The fact that you lose connection makes me think that you might've configured the wireless router incorrectly.

I'll draw something up later that should clear some things up.

Regards,

Olrik

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Hi there,

See the attached files. I hope that it explains it a little better.

The green area dictates a double "LAN" (Local Area Network) and NAT will never work properly if that is the case.

That's why you want to set the second router to not be a DHCP server, and put the cable into a LAN port.

And lastly you'll want to change the IP address of the second router to a static address that is in the range of the first network, but not already in use.

When you do all that, it should give you a normal connection that allows you to play multiplayer games on the switch when you use the WLAN.

Regards,

Olrik

Attached Thumbnails

• required-setup.png
  • what-not-to-do.png

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Thanks, that helped point me in a better direction.

Although fumbling between both routers, using multiple computers and my phone and multiple resets sure takes awhile.

In any case, I've got a solid connection going from the Belkin to the Tenda, by the LAN rather than WAN port. However, I'm still stuck with NAT type C. :( Whether I connect the Nintendo Switch via LAN or WiFi.

Also, I dunno how to get back into my Tenda's settings now. Hence earlier resets. Once I get other things sorted, I never manage to get back into it. Tenda's settings are very confusing. Couldn't quite tell where to set the static IP. May have put it in two places, so I no doubt have another reset in my future as I can't connect to the Tenda's settings again unless I do..

At the very least, I haven't made it any worse! But yeah, it's not any better. Bah. Networking is annoying~

Thanks for the helpful diagrams above though! That made it all make more sense to me.

Edited by Rickie, 23 April 2017 - 08:22 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i think your problem is that you need to open some ports in your router to allow Splatoon 2 on the Nintendo Switch to work.

nat type c i think means ports are closed, nat type a i think means ports are open.

i believe to get it working you need to set a static ip for the nintendo switch and then open whatever ports are needed for that game and forward them to the switch.

see if this link helps you. :- http://en-americas-s...port-forwarding

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 24 April 2017 - 05:20 AM.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I was considering port forwarding at one point, but seeing the laughingstock created from the above Nintendo guidelines here https://www.reddit.c..._following_the/I decided to give it a miss!

Seems they want every port opened. Is it as unsafe as everyone in that thread says?

If it's fine to do, do I do it on the main Belkin router or do I need to do it on the Tenda?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
So, to get the NAT issue completely fixed, you'll have to forward some ports to the switch.

Yes, opening a port litterly means opening up a 'backdoor' to whatever device is forwarded to.

That being said, make sure your Switch has a static address set. That helps for the future, so you don't have to change your forwards all the time.

Then you will not want to forward all 60.000 ports, as that leaves you open to all kinds of trouble.

I did a quick search and came up with this:

4. Then enter the Port Ranges of Start PORT 3074 and End PORT 3074 that is the TCP
Then enter Start PORT 3074 And End PORT 3074 that is the UDP
(or if your router has a BOTH option choose that)

So if you forward port 3074 to the IP address set on the switch, it should allow you to play the game.

That being said, another option, is just enabling "DMZ" to the IP address of the switch. That being said, the DMZ basically means that "Whatever port is not specifically pointed somewhere, is forwarded here". So you will want to turn off the switch completely OR turn off the DMZ when you're done gaming.

And yes, all this will have to be done on your belkin. The second router is basically a little hub with wireless capabilities. :-) It has no routing functions.

Let me know how that goes!

Regards,
Olrik

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Thanks, I thought so. :)

That being said, I've chucked it in the Belkin's DMZ and I'm still getting a NAT type C. Even after turning the Switch on and off again, using wifi or wired. The IP matches up with what the Belkin is saying it should be, so it certainly seems to be in the DMZ, but isn't making a difference.

Tried the port forwarding too, but no dice. :(

EDIT: Out of interest, tested the process on PS4 as well. NAT type 3. So, same deal. For whatever reason, my consoles are being restricted somehow.

Edited by Rickie, 24 April 2017 - 10:19 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not having set up a network myself with a second router in it i can only assume it's a conflict between the belkin and tenda firewall rules.

so this is what i'd do, first i'd test by just connecting the switch to the belkin only (disconnect the tenda) and seeing if it then works, this will confirm the problem is between the belkin and tenda somehow.

set the belkin settings to default and make sure upnp is on then test to see if it works from there.

if it still doesn't work put the switch into the dmz and test again.

if it now works you'll know the issue is a port forwarding problem and also for some reason having the tenda between the belkin and switch stops the firewall rule just set from working.

if it does now work i'd go into the tenda settings and make sure everything that i could turn off was turned off, upnp, dhcp, etc. etc. so it's only the belkin and it's settings that control what data and ports are sent where then connect the tenda back to the belkin and switch to the tenda and test again.

if it still didn't work just connected to the belkin then i'd guess the issue is elsewhere with that game and i'd try maybe using a different dns server in the router to see if that solved the problem. googles dns servers are here :- https://developers.g...-dns/docs/using or maybe turning off ipv6 and only using ipv4.

sorry can't give you more detailed advice to solve the problem because like i said i've never run a lan with more than one router in it.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 25 April 2017 - 08:02 AM.