Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Minecraft PC Version Fully Compatible with Windows 10?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Tungsten72

Tungsten72

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello,

I am building a computer soon and I would like to play Minecraft with it. However, I'm really unsure as to what OS to install. Windows 10 I assume will receive the most support in the future, and so I'm guessing this would be the best OS for a modern build. However, I have heard that Windows 10 isn't perfectly compatible with the main PC version of Minecraft. I've also heard things like future Win10 updates will change certain drivers or mechanics(not sure of the terminology) that will, consequently, cause the PC version of Minecraft to be rendered incompatible. Are either of these things true in any way?
I would also like to be able to download and use mods like shaders, as well as texture packs. Will these things be supported by Windows 10?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

From what I understand there's a specific version of Minecraft suited for Windows 10
https://help.mojang....dows-10-edition

I can't answer your other questions about windows update will change certain drivers etc

Thanks
Joe :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Minecraft for Windows 10 is a new version, requiring a new license. As Minecraft for Xbox One requires a new version, even if you own the 360 version.

If you don't currently own a Windows version of Minecraft, simply purchase and install on your new system. Anything less that Windows 10 would be foolish.

P.S. In case you aren't aware, Microsoft purchased Minecraft. I would expect all Microsoft supported products to offer Minecraft.

Tungsten72

Tungsten72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Thanks for the responses. As for me, I'd rather play the mainstream Java version of minecraft over the Win10 edition. I've done some more digging and have been led to believe that the Java version will indeed be supported by the Windows 10 OS, so I think I'll just go ahead and install Windows 10 instead of 7 and see how it works :)

buddywiser

buddywiser

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thanks for the responses. As for me, I'd rather play the mainstream Java version of minecraft over the Win10 edition. I've done some more digging and have been led to believe that the Java version will indeed be supported by the Windows 10 OS, so I think I'll just go ahead and install Windows 10 instead of 7 and see how it works :)

Oh, no wonder my kid can't play in Win10. So this is the reason why.

Cuaroc

Cuaroc

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Minecraft for Windows 10 is a new version, requiring a new license. As Minecraft for Xbox One requires a new version, even if you own the 360 version.

Based on the link provided by Zep516 you shouldn't require a new Minecraft license unless you don't already own the game.

How do I get the Windows 10 Edition for free?
Players who have previously purchased the PC/Java edition of Minecraft can get the Windows 10 Edition for free by visiting their Mojang account. Log into account.mojang.com, and under the “Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition” heading you will find a button to claim your gift code. Pressing the button will generate a token and send you to a Microsoft redemption page.