Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus A52J shows no video while computer is still running (Resolved).

Best Answer bigdogalex , 07 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

I would say that yes you have "solved" this problem for me. But did I also uncover another problem while working on the solution - the fact that I am unable to any SYSTEM RESTORE to any date on the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

I have an ASUS A52J that has been running fine. Recently I tried to run it on the battery, and when removing power cord, the computer continued to run (fan etc) but had no video. If I reconnected the cord, the computer was still running doing commands I had started before switching to battery. If I remove the power cord for an hour or so, the battery will go down and recharge when the power cord is inserted. I have removed the battery and tried to start computer on battery power alone after reinserting battery. Did see the usual start up procedure, until the welcome screen when the video shut off.

I am running Windows 10

the battery is ~6 months old.

The computer is mostly run on power so the battery is always recharging. I have recently just run the computer (without any video) to partially drain battery, and it has recharged OK.

Not sure what could be done.

Thanks for any ideas.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello bigdogalex,

While troubleshooting the display issue I would suggest that you remove the battery from the notebook and power up using only the adapter.

Couple of points from your OP;

Recently I tried to run it on the battery, and when removing power cord, the computer continued to run (fan etc) but had no video. 

I have removed the battery and tried to start computer on battery power alone after reinserting battery. Did see the usual start up procedure, until the welcome screen when the video shut off.

Is it the Windows welcome screen to which you refer to above.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The blue window with 4 panes and the spinning wheel below - about 30 seconds and the screen goes black

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you bigdogalex  :(

Couple of possible causes come to mind, driver issue, Windows is corrupt or the HDD itself could be bad, the latter would obviously prevent Windows from loading.

What I would suggest to begin with is trying to force Windows to start in the recovery environment (RE) to do this, power up and shutdown the notebook a few times using the notebooks power on button, hopefully after a couple of times of doing so you will get the options explained here if you do, click on the Troubleshoot tab, then try Safe Mode only (no networking) see how it goes then post back with an update for us.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

In one of  the previous answers, you told me to remove the battery for testing purposes. I did. I tried the last procedure you gave me instructions on - several times (5) times. Never got the Windows RE screen. At which point in the startup should I turn off -

ASUS screen; Blue window pane; Tme display in lower left corner? I tried most of them. When I finally let it go ahead and startup It was VERY slow.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

OK -  change to what i wrote above.  Since last nite, someone (don't think it was me) put battery back in PC, so the testing was done with it in. I removed it and after the 3rd try, I got the WindowsRE screen, but it only had 2 choices under TROUBlESHOOTING -

RESET THIS PC

ADVANCE OPTIONS
               SYSTEM RESTOrE                                                COMMAND PROMPT

SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY                                 STARTUP SETTINGS

STARTUP REPAIR                                                  GO BACK

Which if any do I chose

Edited by bigdogalex, 26 April 2017 - 09:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Try the following in the said order;

System Restore - if you get this option and there is a date available that is before the issue first happened select that.

Start up Repair - depending on what the actual problem is you may be asked to insert Windows media at some point.

Let us know how you get on please.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

By window media, do you mean Windows 10 installation disk? which i don't have. This has been a problem that I wasn't really concerned about for awhile, which was before any system restart point that was listed.Since the 'puter works on power, I didn't feel the need to investigate at the time.  I did a system restore to late last month which was the earliest available.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
 I did a system restore to late last month which was the earliest available.

Does the above mean that you have now been able to boot into Windows.

By window media, do you mean Windows 10 installation disk? which i don't have.

As you have previously been running Windows 10 you can download a Windows 10 ISO, see guide courtesy of Brink here

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
When I did a system restore, I turned the computer on with the power cord, which I have had no problems doing. Was I supposed todo it using the turning on and off with power button as described above

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have an ASUS A52J that has been running fine. Recently I tried to run it on the battery, and when removing power cord, the computer continued to run (fan etc) but had no video. If I reconnected the cord, the computer was still running doing commands I had started before switching to battery. If I remove the power cord for an hour or so, the battery will go down and recharge when the power cord is inserted. I have removed the battery and tried to start computer on battery power alone after reinserting battery. Did see the usual start up procedure, until the welcome screen when the video shut off.

I am running Windows 10

the battery is ~6 months old.

The computer is mostly run on power so the battery is always recharging. I have recently just run the computer (without any video) to partially drain battery, and it has recharged OK.

Not sure what could be done.

Thanks for any ideas.

The blue window with 4 panes and the spinning wheel below - about 30 seconds and the screen goes black

Sorry but I am a bit confused as previous info you have provided highlighted in red above suggests that you were not able to boot into Windows successfully.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have no problem loading windows if using the power cord. The problem described (windows tries to load on battery only - at the blue window with panes, the video disappears and the status indicators are lit for Power and drive activity. If I then plug in power cord, the window welcome screen appears and I sign in as normal. (The power indicator and battery charge indicator are on with the drive activity blinking) if I then unplug the power cord so only battery power is being supplied, the power indicator and drive activity (blinking) are on.
I hope I haven't confused you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for clearing things up for me  :thumbsup:

Couple of possible causes come to mind, a weak battery, a poor contact between the power terminals on the battery/or in the notebooks battery housing and a Windows power plan setting.

The battery is only six months old, is it a genuine ASUS battery or a cheaper generic imported replacement.

Are the terminals on the battery and inside the notebook battery housing in good order.

Have you ever changed the power plan, see my attachment for what to look for and check if you have never changed anything yourself.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I have a LBJ High Performance Battery in PC. All terminals look OK. I previously did do a change to the  Power Plan - I used the Power Saver. After reading your previous text, I tried to change it to Balanced. When I clicked on that choice, the screen went black - no video. After shutting down and restarting, I went to Windows RE and restarted in safe mode; changed the Power Plan back to Power Saver and everything was back to my normal. The settings of the Power Saver are turn off display -5 min on battery and 20 min on Power. I tried to take a screen shot, but was told I was unable to use the image.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I used the Power Saver. After reading your previous text, I tried to change it to Balanced. When I clicked on that choice, the screen went black - no video.

That's odd  :headscratch: was it the same on both battery power only and running of the AC adaptor. 

It could be that ASUS does not support Windows 10 on your computer and it therefore a driver issue, quick check for you to do if you will please, create a new system restore point then try the High performance option in the Power Plan settings and let us know what happens.