Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen artifacts, mouse and keyboard not working properly

Screen artifacts

Best Answer FrickinDave , 01 May 2017 - 11:45 PM

I think I know what causes this. The thermal paste must have worn off around the processor and I have to buy an additional cooling fan. Thanks for the help - you can lock the thread now. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello, I have a pretty annoying problem that pretty much renders my game gaming experience unbearable.

One day, everything was working just fine, until mouse and keyboard stopped responding in about 5 second intervals simultaneously (keyboard started shutting off and on on its own), which was joined by unpleasant looking screen artifacts (I dont know if I am using this term correctly, because I learned about it just recently).

These artifacts are like the screen would have lower refresh rate than it usually would have - distorted lines going from bottom to top of the screen, which would get progressively worse as the time goes by.

Restarting the PC does not fix the problem, as the computer doesnt fully shut down. Turning the PC off and on temporarily fixes the problem, but after approximately hour of ''gaming'' these problems appear again.

I have tried everything - cleaning the computer out of dust, uninstalling unnecessary programs, installing newest drivers etc. - nothing. So far I am blaming the GPU, that its on the way out, but I need to be completely sure so I dont waste money without necessity.

If anyone has any idea or better yet - a solution, please post below.

Notes:

1. I am not a native english speaker so if you have a solution - please explain this as simple as possible - thanks!
  2. I am not tech savvy and I could not understand some terms or abbreviations ^
  3. If you need some information about my computer, please tell me how to retrieve it and I will deliver.
  4. If I get the chance to photograph these artifacts, I will do so and post them here. https://youtu.be/iwoJsYhKbR4

Thanks in advance!

Edited by FrickinDave, 27 April 2017 - 04:20 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   FrickinDave,

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the PSU (power supply unit).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.pirifo...psZ1eFZZHMIv5Ap

Do you think this has something to do with the PSU?
I am playing a demanding game , and my system doesnt meet the minimum settings for the game, but I've tweaked the setting that I have ''playable'' frames-per-second. I am thinking of buying a more powerful GPU, because I suspect the GPU is on its way out.

I've attached the picture of the PSU below.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170426_114252.jpg

Edited by FrickinDave, 26 April 2017 - 02:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Going to be out for a few hrs but will try and check back in later but before I go apart from what I have mentioned below we may need to take a look at your HDD, Speccy is reporting an unknown SMART status, it could just be that SMART is not enabled but it does need checking.

That is a good brand of PSU that has more than enough output and amps on the +12V rail + you voltages look ok in Speccy so the PSU looks to be all good.

I am playing a demanding game , and my system doesnt meet the minimum settings for the game, but I've tweaked the setting that I have ''playable'' frames-per-second.

Using hardware that does not meet the minimum requirements will cause your hardware to struggle and in turn the GPU will also heat up which is a common cause of artifacts, we could do with a couple of screenshots that have been taken after or during gaming, see below;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Here are all the screenshots that you asked.

HWMonitor is only when idle. I added a .txt file too for extra info or if i missed something, although it all looked like gibberish to me, I dont know :D 

I will add HWMonitor readings during gaming and after gaming, but they will be missing the last 2 readings, as you can see the first one was edited together.

1.After the gaming
2.During
3.HWMonitor when idle

Screen artifacts: https://youtu.be/iwoJsYhKbR4      I've made my desktop background dark, to compensate my bad camera quality.

Attached Thumbnails

• after games_jpeg.jpg
  • during games_jpeg.jpg
  • hmwmonitor normal_jpeg.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by FrickinDave, 27 April 2017 - 04:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The PSU output is fine but the CPU is overheating when under load.

V core max is 1.3625V

Maximum safe operating temperature is 72.4°C

What is the game that you are wanting to play so we can see how far off the present specs are, regardless of this I would suggest that you not play it as it is killing your CPU atm.

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Its Overwatch. All low settings. Render scale 50% (basically the lowest possible) right now playing windowed and I cant remember the resolution. It was 1024xsomething.

I bought this game when It was Christmas last year - and I had no problems - no lag at all. I was also playing on the max resolution that my pc has which is 1400x900(render scale 75-100%).

I dont understand. Everything shows as it would be a GPU problem. These artifacts also appear when watching videos and browsing internet, but only after a slightly longer time because I'm guessing it has a less load on the GPU?.

Maybe that explains the mouse and keyboard problems, because I couldnt tie together those things with the GPU. The word "killing" is very influencing and I am frightened that my PC is pretty much toast. Please get back to me as soon as possible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Your GPU is safe at temps up to 98°C and is getting nowhere near that even while gaming, your CPU however is hitting between 68°C and 72°C when gaming and if kept up will burn out sooner rather than later, not intended to frighten you only make sure that you are fully aware of what may very well happen.

50°C when idle is still on the hot side, such temps can be caused by poor cooling in and around the computer, hot room temps where the computer is being used, a clogged or incorrectly mounted heatsink, thermal compound drying out or worse case scenario the CPU weakening.

Have you tried using the computer in Safe Mode for an extended period of time.

I mentioned checking the HDD, please see below

Check the HDD with CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.0 Standard Edition which you can download from here once done grab a screenshot (possibly two) of the results and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've attached the file you asked below.

1. What would prolonged use of the computer via Safe Mode do?
2. I took a peak at the processor through the case, I didnt see any movement to the metal fan - I dont know if it even was a fan or anything, I just didnt see any movement. I will try starting up the PC while looking in the case, and will update you on that.

I like your theory, it fits in with the processor. There was really no ground to think that the GPU was causing this - no errors, no heating up, and it had all the latest updates.

Even if it is the processor, how do you think I could fix it, but about that later, because I am off to doing the thing I listed above.

Update: Didnt start up yet, but the metal part is not the one that spins. Maybe when the computer was on - the plastic fan that was spinning was hard to see at first.

Update: All 5 fans (that I can see) spun up normally and are spinning normally.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.PNG

Edited by FrickinDave, 27 April 2017 - 08:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Your HDD is all good but it looks like SMART could be disabled in the BIOS, see info here

1. What would prolonged use of the computer via Safe Mode do?

The idea of running the computer in safe mode is to see if you get the same problems with the display, if you do, the problem is even more likely to be hardware related, if you do not, there is an outside chance that it could be driver related (no third party drivers are loaded in Safe Mode Only, just the basic Windows drivers are).

Even if it is the processor, how do you think I could fix it,

It depends on the cause, if the CPU only gets so hot when playing a game that you know the CPU is not good enough for then the answer is simply to stop playing a game that the CPU cannot handle.

Update: Didnt start up yet, but the metal part is not the one that spins. Maybe when the computer was on - the plastic fan that was spinning was hard to see at first.

If the CPU cooling fan was not spinning at all the computer would have shutdown within seconds so it must be working.

Advertisements

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I really dont think the cause would be the HDD.
If its the processor - how come it didnt show any artifacts before? And wouldnt the CPU automatically shut down if it reached a certain temperature? Im getting the fact that the processor is endangered during prolonged high temperatures
Also - last time I did anything related with Safe Mode - that was on my laptop and I didnt know what I was doing at the time- I screwed everything up, but thats not relevant.
Thing is - how do I start my PC in safe mode, and how can I stress it to the point that it would start showing artifacts again, as most programs are disabled (I think?). Well I wouldnt certainly be able to play Overwatch in Safe Mode.

I really need a definite answer soon, because my PC is located in the dorm rooms of my school and I am heading home for the weekend. Also, I read in your signature that you are not ''free'' during Fridays.
Should I risk my money to buy a new GPU and see if the problem still persists?

Why is SpeedFan monitoring 2 fans out of 5? Or is it not what it does. Just calculates the speeds of main GPU and CPU fans?

I have checked S.M.A.R.T and it is fully functional. Checked it through cmd prompt. Even if it wouldnt be working - a third party program that you asked me to use wouldnt be able to retrieve info. I think its just Speccy that was messing with you, but hey - thats just me, I am not an expert.

Edited by FrickinDave, 27 April 2017 - 12:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I really dont think the cause would be the HDD.

Never said it was and was only mentioning SMART being disabled as it is a safety measure designed to alert you to any potential HDD failure in the future, up to you if you leave it disabled, I for my part have brought it to your attention and can do no more.

If its the processor - how come it didnt show any artifacts before? 

Without knowing what the computer has previously been used for or how long the CPU has been getting so hot it is not possible for anyone to give you an answer I`m afraid.

And wouldnt the CPU automatically shut down if it reached a certain temperature? 

As mentioned in my reply #6  the maximum safe operating temperature of your CPU is 72.4°C, at this point the MBs thermal sensor should shut down the system to protect the CPU from frying, if the temps go past this point without the computer shutting down it is normally because the setting has either been increased or completely disabled in the BIOS, you need to go into the BIOS and check the setting for yourself.

Also - last time I did anything related with Safe Mode - that was on my laptop and I didnt know what I was doing at the time- I screwed everything up, but thats not relevant.

How to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode

Well I wouldnt certainly be able to play Overwatch in Safe Mode.

As explained in my reply #10;

The idea of running the computer in safe mode is to see if you get the same problems with the display, if you do, the problem is even more likely to be hardware related, if you do not, there is an outside chance that it could be driver related (no third party drivers are loaded in Safe Mode Only, just the basic Windows drivers are).

I really need a definite answer soon, because my PC is located in the dorm rooms of my school and I am heading home for the weekend. Also, I read in your signature that you are not ''free'' during Fridays.

Also answered in my reply #10, additionally, I have a business to run and so cannot be around 24/7 and when not busy with the business I give as much time as I can helping people for free here and on other forums.

Should I risk my money to buy a new GPU and see if the problem still persists?

A better video card would be great but your GPU is not the issue, the CPU overheating is, you need a minimum of an i3 CPU to play Overwatch but ideally an i5 is recommended.

Why is SpeedFan monitoring 2 fans out of 5? Or is it not what it does. Just calculates the speeds of main GPU and CPU fans?

It depends on how many fan sensors the MB has as to how many readings HWMonitor and Speedfan report and you will normally only get readings from the chassis fans if they are the 4 pin type as opposed to the 3 pin type that have no pwm pin.

You can stress test your GPU with Valley benchmark (free) which you can download here

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Will stress testing GPU cause any errors or even BSOD?

Can you add some stress testing software for my CPU too?

If CPU overheating is the problem - can I test it with a hair dryer fan? Is the air pumped out sterile enough to not cause any problems with the internal system?

I will stress test a bit later when you give your next answer.

Edited by FrickinDave, 01 May 2017 - 07:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Will stress testing GPU cause any errors or even BSOD?

That is the idea of the testing, to find out, I suspect that the CPU may overheat first though.

Can you add some stress testing software for my CPU too?

I could and such programs are widely available for free online but I will not be suggesting any here in case the testing burns out the CPU.

If CPU overheating is the problem - can I test it with a hair dryer fan? Is the air pumped out sterile enough to not cause any problems with the internal system?

Not sure if you have read this suggestion somewhere, if you have, ignore it as it would achieve nothing whatsoever.

I will stress test a bit later when you give your next answer. 

Trying the computer in Safe Mode only should have been or should be done before any stress testing, entirely up to you if you do not follow the suggested steps but as explained the idea of running the computer in safe mode is to see if you get the same problems with the display, if you do, the problem is even more likely to be hardware related meaning that you should not run any stress tests in case you fry the CPU.

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
✓  Best Answer
I think I know what causes this. The thermal paste must have worn off around the processor and I have to buy an additional cooling fan.

Thanks for the help - you can lock the thread now.