Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect to wifi (Resolved).

wifi internet

Best Answer zavalamerry , 28 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I clicked on "follow this topic" and it sent emails to my account twice then I no longer got emails.  I don't know if I did something wrong.  Anyway it is a moot point now.  Rkinner... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

First I am computer challenged.  

I just moved into an apartment that offers free wifi.  I have windows 10.  Currently I am using a linksys usb to get the internet but I would rather make use of the free wifi.  When I pull out the linksys usb I lose my wifi. How do I connect to the wifi so I can get the internet without having to use the Linksys usb? I want to get rid of Linksys because it is very slow and I often get the response that I have no internet so I have to wiggle the usb and reenter my information once the internet has been restored.  Am I able to do this or do I need to get something like a smart tv?  I have a modem with  an ethernet port.  Please respond step by step instructions in understandable terms.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   zavalamerry,

Being free there should be no need to enter any passwords, if that is correct, see the info at the Microsoft guide here

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'm affraid that's not what the Topic starter implied, phillpower2.

@zavalamerry,
By the sounds of things, your PC doesn't have a built-in WiFi card, making it impossible to connect to any WiFi network if you do not have something like the Linksys USB plugged in.

I would recommend going to a local PC shop, and asking them if they can install a Wifi card into your PC, so that you can enjoy a more stable wifi connection.

Regards,
Olrik

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:oops:  misread the computer as being a notebook Olrik  :blush:

It would help if we had some info on your computer as well zavalamerry, is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) for us.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

It would help if we had some info on your computer as well zavalamerry, is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) for us.

Thank you phillpower2 and Artellos for answering my problem.  Here is a little more information that I hope will help with any further instructions.  My brother in law built the computer.  When he was here to help me move he is the one that got the Linksys usb (wrong one) for me.  It is a desktop with a 64 Operating system,  AMD FX™-8310 Eight-core processer.  I don't have a clue how to look and see if it has a wifi card.  I hope this helps. I probably wrote my inquirey wrong.  If I  have access to free wifi how do I connect to this wifi? Right now I am using Linksys usb to get my internet; but it is slow and I ofen get the error message "there is no internet connection" At my old apt I had to buy internet from my local phone company.  At this apartment they provide basic Charter (with a black box) .  I brought my modem from my last apt but I was told by maintence that I was not allowed to utilize their phone jack.  Then he proceeded to tell me that all the other people were able to get on the internet by utilizing the "black box".  I hope this extra information doesn't confuse the issue instead of helping.                                    

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Thank you phillpower2 and Artellos for answering my problem.  Here is a little more information that I hope will help with any further instructions.  My brother in law built the computer.  When he was here to help me move he is the one that got the Linksys usb (wrong one) for me.  It is a desktop with a 64 Operating system,  AMD FX™-8310 Eight-core processer.  I don't have a clue how to look and see if it has a wifi card.  I hope this helps. I probably wrote my inquirey wrong.  If I  have access to free wifi how do I connect to this wifi? Right now I am using Linksys usb to get my internet; but it is slow and I ofen get the error message "there is no internet connection" At my old apt I had to buy internet from my local phone company.  At this apartment they provide basic Charter (with a black box) .  I brought my modem from my last apt but I was told by maintence that I was not allowed to utilize their phone jack.  Then he proceeded to tell me that all the other people were able to get on the internet by utilizing the "black box".  I hope this extra information doesn't confuse the issue instead o

@zavalamerry,
By the sounds of things, your PC doesn't have a built-in WiFi card, making it impossible to connect to any WiFi network if you do not have something like the Linksys USB plugged in.

I would recommend going to a local PC shop, and asking them if they can install a Wifi card into your PC, so that you can enjoy a more stable wifi connection.

Regards,
Olrik

Thank you for your reply.  How do I determine if I have a Wifi card?                        

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

@zavalamerry,

Regards,
Olrik

I am new to this site so I think I wrote a thank you and a question and forgot to "post" it.  First I want to thank you for answering.  Then I would like to know how to determine if I have a wifi card or not. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome zavalamerry  :)

As per the above please, thanks FreeBooter  :thumbsup:

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

You are welcome zavalamerry  :)

As per the above please, thanks FreeBooter  :thumbsup:

Thank you phillpower2 for helping me with site etiquette.  Thank you Freebooter for having this site available.  Now if you wouldn't mind me asking you another question phillpower2? I have been told that to solve my problem all I need is a smart t.v.  What are your thoughts about doing that? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can I ask who is advising you that you need a Smart TV and what they are basing their guidance on.

I thought that you wanted to get your computer to connect to the free wi-fi in the apartment using a better device than the present USB dongle.

You are welcome btw zavalamerry   :)

Advertisements

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Can I ask who is advising you that you need a Smart TV and what they are basing their guidance on.

I thought that you wanted to get your computer to connect to the free wi-fi in the apartment using a better device than the present USB dongle.

You are welcome btw zavalamerry   :)

The apartment manager where I lived suggested the smart tv.  He told me that it would pick up the wifi that was offered for free and I could use the screen like it was a monitor.  He is also the one who told me that other wifi residents just utilized the black box that brings cable into each room.  I do want to get my computer to connect to the free wifi using anything better than the linksys usb that I currently have.  I think I am listening to too many people... my head is spinning and I am still confused and without wifi.  I did read that windows 10 had a problem with wifi too.  Phillpower2 thank you for your patience with me. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The apartment manager where I lived suggested the smart tv.  He told me that it would pick up the wifi that was offered for free and I could use the screen like it was a monitor.  

Both are true but have nothing to do with being able to connect your desktop to the free wi-fi, you will still need either a better wireless dongle or an internal wireless card.

I did read that windows 10 had a problem with wifi too.

For some yes but I have had zero problems on my computers running Windows 10 even when running the initial preview versions.

To summarise, the purchase of a Smart TV has nothing to do with improving your wireless connection on the desktop and so it is best addressed separately once you are happy with any solution to your wireless adaptor question.

You did not post the info requested by FreeBooter so we have no way of knowing your motherboard or present Linksys adaptor details to be able to suggest any alternative device, please see my canned info below which will help with this;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

In case you are not already aware, there are other factors that may need to be taken into account and explain the present slow/unstable internet performance, incorrect drivers or other software (including security and anti virus protection etc), how many people are using the same free wi-fi at the same time and how good the actual service is itself.

Phillpower2 thank you for your patience with me. 

You are welcome zavalamerry  :)

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

The apartment manager where I lived suggested the smart tv.  He told me that it would pick up the wifi that was offered for free and I could use the screen like it was a monitor.  

Both are true but have nothing to do with being able to connect your desktop to the free wi-fi, you will still need either a better wireless dongle or an internal wireless card.

I did read that windows 10 had a problem with wifi too.

For some yes but I have had zero problems on my computers running Windows 10 even when running the initial preview versions.

To summarise, the purchase of a Smart TV has nothing to do with improving your wireless connection on the desktop and so it is best addressed separately once you are happy with any solution to your wireless adaptor question.

You did not post the info requested by FreeBooter so we have no way of knowing your motherboard or present Linksys adaptor details to be able to suggest any alternative device, please see my canned info below which will help with this;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

In case you are not already aware, there are other factors that may need to be taken into account and explain the present slow/unstable internet performance, incorrect drivers or other software (including security and anti virus protection etc), how many people are using the same free wi-fi at the same time and how good the actual service is itself.

Phillpower2 thank you for your patience with me. 

You are welcome zavalamerry  :)

Well I feel like an idiot... I did not realize that I was to download speccy and give you the results.  The results are this:  I downloaded the free Speccy and ran publish snapshot and got the error message : A connection with the server could not be established.  Then when I did a print screen so you could see the results when I tried to attach the file I was told I wasn't permitted to upload this kind of file. 

I have made a print screen of the results of the speccy outcome.  But as stated above I am unable to attach the file. This is the best I can do and I am not sure it makes sense and is what you wanted:

Speccy results: 

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX 14 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-9-9-26)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2) 33 °C
Graphics
1821A (1280x1024@75Hz)
512MB ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics (Gigabyte)
Storage
119GB ADATA SP 900 SATA Disk Device (SSD) 31 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

After looking at the above information is it more practicle for me to get a better wireless dongle or an internal wireless card? Here is another issue/road block in this process... I am in an assisted living facility where all I get is $100/mo to live on.  That being said, I obviously don't have a lot of money to make this computer link to the free wifi.  Do you have a suggestion for a better wireless dongle if you think that is the route to go? 

As for the other question about smart t.v. I think what the apt manager was suggesting is a smart t.v. to replace my desktop so there wouldn't be any more problems getting my desktop to access the wifi.  He also readily admitted the current wifi was weak and it was to be replaced (I will need to ask him if this ever took place)

I do hope I am getting the information that you need to adequately see the problem with my desk top not connecting to wifi. 

zavalamerry 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I do hope I am getting the information that you need to adequately see the problem with my desk top not connecting to wifi. 

No problem zavalamerry but can you follow the Speccy instructions that I post above, the report that the url links to will be of more help than just your basic hardware details above.

Smart TV and weak internet service info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Btw, no need to quote every reply, it doesnt help any, only means we have to read more before we get to the info that you mean to provide  :thumbsup:  

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Phillpower2 you must have missed my comment that I could not generate a url link because I was using the "quote" button to respond.  What I found out was when I requested to publish a snapshot and generate a url for you I got the error message : A connection with the server could not be established.  I have tried several times and continue to get the same message.  What now?  :smashcomp: